Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chiaroscuro Pix

1. Aug 3, 2009 #1
    In the new photo contest the subject is

So that elicited this comment:

So I like to answer to that with a few examples of Rembrandt lighting with an unprofessional onmipresent lighting rig, the sun. Now which one should I select?

23veqh4.jpg

34g7xg1.jpg

jpc3md.jpg

ejd7og.jpg

15gqbzq.jpg
    (ok this one required a modest fill in flash)

10dijqt.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2009 #2
    I think the dandelion picture is gorgeous.. I'd vote for that one. Good quality, good composition.

I like the squirrel monkey too though haha But that's just because I like them :) The lighting is really good on the fur too.. it's a great pic.

So I'd say one of those two.. but that's just my 2 cents

4. Aug 3, 2009 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

None of these pictures shows Rembrandt lighting in any way -- Rembrandt lighting requires a human face.

It seems that you're just trying to pre-select your competition photo to increase your own odds of winning...

- Warren

5. Aug 3, 2009 #4
    The question was not Rembrandt lighting but:

But the message is clear. I will not enter anything in the contest.

6. Aug 3, 2009 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm just pointing out that you posted a few examples of Rembrandt lighting, yet none of your pictures show Rembrandt lighting.

For the record, you don't need professional lighting equipment to produce Rembrandt lighting. All you need to do is drape a bed sheet over a window and spend a few minutes posing your subject.

- Warren

7. Aug 3, 2009 #6
    Rembrandt lighting:

I have a really cool picture of myself using Rembrandt lighting, but it was taken professionally and is not something I could emulate without having the reflector and lighting rigs.

And Andre -- stop taking things so seriously.

8. Aug 3, 2009 #7
    Like this?

rembrandt007.jpg
    source

Now where is the bedsheet over the window here?

9. Aug 3, 2009 #8
    I'm not sure what point you are trying to make as that Rembrandt painting is clearly not an example of Rembrandt lighting.

10. Aug 3, 2009 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rembrandt did not always use "Rembrandt lighting" in his paintings. Rembrandt lighting is a style of portraiture -- of the human face -- which Rembrandt often employed.

It is defined by the high key light and the resulting triangle of light on the opposite cheek.

Your own link to Wikipedia explains it well. Have you read it?

- Warren

11. Aug 3, 2009 #10
    Rembrandt is known for his USE OF LIGHT in paintings. Not for 'Rembrandt lighting', that came after as an effect used in portraits... they named it after him because this style makes objects seem very deep and and natural by using light, which he was a master of. Regardless this form of lighting is done in portraits. Chiaroscuro however is just a style which uses contrasts of light/dark in any type of image.

Know all of this from taking 4 years of visual art courses and 2 art history courses :P

12. Aug 3, 2009 #11
    How can you make a war out of nothing. :frown:

13. Aug 3, 2009 #12
    So how about your entry in the contest?

14. Aug 3, 2009 #13
    What about it? The topic said Chiaroscuro, not Rembrandt lighting.

Also, what about this?

This game is only getting less fun due to all the bickering and nonsensical rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook