Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chickenpox parties

1. Nov 17, 2005 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just when I thought I had heard it all...
    http://www.newstarget.com/004593.html
    This is just unbelievable to me. There was a report on this on a radio program this morning - apparently some parents even have little invitations printed up for the party.

I have a feeling Moonbear is gonna hit the roof when she sees this...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Even given the freaky links you people keep providing, that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. That's not in Kansas, is it?

4. Nov 17, 2005 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

They have vaccines now? Lucky kids. Most of my chicken pox were in my mouth. I couldn't eat for a week!

5. Nov 17, 2005 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would you believe Oregon?

I had to do it the hard way, too.
    Definitely not a party!!:frown:

6. Nov 17, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I will never cease to be amazed by what people do.

7. Nov 17, 2005 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had a chickenpox party!

When I had it, my parents made me give it my little sister, and then I went round to my mates' houses to give it them too.

Happy days!

No idea there were vaccines, over here it's encouraged just to get it when you're little. It's just funny then, you get spotty and itchy for a week or so, no harm done! I spent the week watching Thomas the Tank Engine.

8. Nov 17, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

a chickenpox party would be ok if you were the only male, i would even trim my
    nails :smile:

9. Nov 17, 2005 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bearing in mind you're usually 2-6 when you attend such a party, I reckon the biggest issue is arriving early for the lion's share of the jelly and ice cream.

10. Nov 17, 2005 #9

Evo

My older daughter became extremely ill, a very high fever, and severe lesions that caused extensive scarring. "varicella (chicken pox) is the greatest vaccine-preventable killer of children in the United States see the article below.

"But chickenpox can be dangerous and even deadly. Before the introduction of the varicella vaccine in 1995, approximately 4 million cases of the disease were reported annually, including 4,000 to 9,000 hospitalizations and 100 deaths.

While varicella (chicken pox) is the greatest vaccine-preventable killer of children in the United States, only 26 percent of children ages 19 to 35 months old had received varicella vaccine by 1997.

Ninety percent of all varicella cases and approximately 60 percent of hospitalizations and 40 percent of deaths due to varicella occur in children younger than age 10. Today, the greatest incidence of varicella has shifted to younger children (ages 1 to 4, rather than ages 5 to 9), probably because of earlier exposure in preschool and child care settings.

In the first 3 months of 1998, three fatal cases of varicella in children were
    reported."

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/events/niiw/pastPDF/SampleOpEdChickenpox.pdf

11. Nov 17, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I never got any vaccine and I never got chicken pox as a kid :D

I am superman.

12. Nov 17, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Don't get too confident. Some of those things hit adults a hell of a lot harder than kids.

13. Nov 17, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

But do they hit supermen harder?

14. Nov 17, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

The Kryptonite-bearing ones do. :tongue:

15. Nov 17, 2005 #14
    my sister and i got chicken pocks at the same time. we ended up only having them for a total of like, 3 days.... over the weekend! we didn't miss any school. my brother got it on the monday just after we healed up... he missed the whole rest of the week of school. needless to say, i'm very dissapointed with my chicken pox....

16. Nov 17, 2005 #15

Evo

You're lucky. When you have kids though, don't take chances. I think too many people had a very mild case and fail to realize they can be fatal.

17. Nov 17, 2005 #16
    Below the article linked to by Math is one that explains the widespread fear of vaccinations:

http://www.newstarget.com/011764.html

"Thimerosal

Thimerosal is the preservative of choice for vaccine manufacturers. First introduced by Eli Lilly and Company in the late 1920s and early 1930s, the company began selling it as a preservative in vaccines in the 1940s. Thimerosal contains 49.6 percent mercury by weight and is metabolized or degraded into ethylmercury and thiosalicylate. Mercury, or more precisely, ethylmercury, is the principle agent that kills contaminants. Unfortunately, mercury also kills much more than that.

The Department of Defense classifies mercury as a hazardous material that could cause death if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Studies indicate that mercury tends to accumulate in the brains of primates and other animals after they are injected with vaccines. Mercury poisoning has been linked to cardiovascular disease, autism, seizures, mental retardation, hyperactivity, dyslexia and many other nervous system conditions. That's why the FDA rigorously limits exposure to mercury in foods and drugs. Some common sources of mercury include dental amalgam fillings, various vaccines and certain fish contaminated by polluted ocean waters. "

"Studies on thimerosal poisoning also describe tubular necrosis and nervous system injury, including obtundation, coma and death. As a result of these findings, Russia banned thimerosal from children's vaccines in 1980. Denmark, Austria, Japan, Great Britain and all the Scandinavian countries have also banned the preservative.

"Eli Lilly stuck to its "scientific" facts, but the truth began slipping between the cracks in 1999. After the number of immunizations rose to 12 to 15 per child, the public finally became privy to the possible dangers of thimerosal. One 1999 study revealed that some infants, due to a genetic or developmental factor, lack the ability to eliminate mercury. Trace amounts of mercury in these infants, when accumulated over several vaccines, could pose a severe health risk. Some vaccines, such as vaccines for hepatitis B, contained as much as 12.5 micrograms of mercury per dose. That's more than 100 times the EPA's upper limit standard when administered to infants. "

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  18. Nov 17, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Before there was a vaccine, that was the recommendation, just get infected while you're young, because it's much worse when you're older. And for most people, it's nothing worse than a slightly itchy rash (mine didn't even itch...it was great...I had to stay home from school and miss my final exams and I didn't even feel sick, just looked spotty. :biggrin: I gave it to my sister and she came down with it a week into summer vacation; I'm not sure she ever forgave me for not giving it to her sooner so she could miss school too). But the whole reason for getting infected while young is that having the infection then leaves you with immunity against future infections. If you can just get a vaccine to get that immunity, there's not much reason to take the chance you'll be one of the miserable kids or one of the ones who gets seriously ill with it.

19. Nov 17, 2005 #18
    I used to have amalgam fillings untill a couple years ago when they were replaced...:bugeye: :eek:

20. Nov 18, 2005 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No party would be complete without party favors. My brother has shingles as a souvenir from his bout with chicken pox. Coincidentally, my coworker is out with shingles right now. It is supposed to be unbelievably painful. It looks like you've been whipped with a jellyfish that was dipped in tabasco sauce. Some people think shingles are only a problem for elderly people. My brother is 18. My coworker is 35.

21. Nov 18, 2005 #20
    David Letterman had to leave his show for a month couple/three years ago. He got them on his face.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?