Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Child Labor in Decline

1. May 5, 2006 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I figured the forum could use a little good news for a change. I don't really have a comment on this, but I wonder what everyone thinks. What's the simple solution to this? Is eradication of child labor by 2016 realistic? Can the rates of decline hold?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2006 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's an interesting article. My personal opinion is that, I'm skeptical on whether child labour (including the worst forms) can be completely eradicated by 2016.

This is a detailed report made in 2003 on bonded child labor in India's silk industry by the Human Rights Watch.

I think many of the topics covered in the report, such as problems faced in enforcing the law, still applies today.

Also, from my personal experience, too many children in India are still employed in various forms of work even in the major cities, and are denied the opportunity for basic education.
    Last edited: May 5, 2006
  4. May 5, 2006 #3

Gold Member

If this is the first time it declined, 10 years ain't happening.
  5. May 5, 2006 #4

Gold Member

Well, as long as people buy jewelry paved with melee stones (tiny faceted gemstones), child labor will go on - at least in India. Next time you see some rap star with a diamond-encrusted gold pendant as big across as your hand, think of the forced labor of the children who cut all those melee diamonds.
  6. May 5, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe we will continue to see a decline for the next few decades - largely due to the fact that some of the developing countries are the most populated (China, India, Brazil). Eradication (or reduction below the level of say, 20 million, or about 1% of all the children) will not happen anytime soon - certainly not by 2016.
  7. Oct 29, 2006 #6

Staff: Mentor

While Child Labor may be in decline, it is nevertheless persistent in parts of the world.

Africa’s World of Forced Labor, in a 6-Year-Old’s Eyes

We still have a long way to go to change this. :frown: :grumpy:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?