Childhood happiness and intelligence

• Thread starter Bartholomew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intelligence
In summary: i really don't know what it was, but i think it had something to do with the fact that my parents were no longer married and i had a new stepfather.i don't think a child's intelligence is wholly dependent on their parents' happiness.
Bartholomew
I have a theory that children may have stunted brainpower as a result of unhappy conditions--more intelligence would bring the world into unpleasant focus, so as a defense mechanism the child might learn to think less clearly. Does anyone know of data on the correlation between idyllic childhood and intelligence?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bartholomew said:
I have a theory that children may have stunted brainpower as a result of unhappy conditions--more intelligence would bring the world into unpleasant focus, so as a defense mechanism the child might learn to think less clearly. Does anyone know of data on the correlation between idyllic childhood and intelligence?

I was a miserable child.

Mainly because i was so smart. Did that make me less smart? No.

How about before age 4-5? Were you miserable in your very early childhood?

Bartholomew said:
How about before age 4-5? Were you miserable in your very early childhood?

I don't remember ever being particularly happy, outside of a few singular moments.

How the heck do you remember your state of mind when you were 4? I only have one memory I can think of from when I was 4, and I was sitting on Santa Claus' lap when he visited my preschool. I was probably fairly happy.

I don't think it's good idea to conduct such an investigation based on memory. Find actualy children and follow them around until they're adults. Unless someone else has already done the same thing, that's the only way you're going to have your question answered, although I'm sure hitssquad can find a bible (I mean g factor) passage for you that is relevant somehow.

I have many clear memories of my early childhood; the earliest goes back to age 2 or possibly earlier. My early childhood was idyllic.

My parents got divorced when I was younger than five, and I had some difficult times that I vaguely remember. It's unlikely that it permanetly effected my intelligence since my intelligence is similar to my Dad's, and he is well educated. If anything, my unhappy childhood moments may have made more more intelligent; I became cynical of the world at an early age, and my curiosity caused me to enhance my mind.

I can say that my "intelligence" somewhat blossomed when i was 13, when I realized i could write and argue in writing pretty well. But my interest in science started when i was 16. Frankly, my main interest is physics, but I personally think I don't have the talent which physicists usually have, but my interest is what drives me, not really talent.

I feel I've got more talent for the humanities but not as much interest in it as physics.

on topic, i feel i was pretty ordinary in my childhood. I may be told that i was more "intelligent" by some. but it was just scoring higher than average marks during tests.

I agree with misogynisticfeminist on this. I developed my interest in physics when I was 13. I do not consider myself to be exactly the most "intelligent" kid in the class. I was quite unhappy with my peers.

The problem is the narrow-minded attitude which people have towards intelligence. Peoples' evaluation of intelligence of a person are wholly and solely based on the person's academic performance. There is little credit given to originality, skill and understanding.

Reshma said:
The problem is the narrow-minded attitude which people have towards intelligence. Peoples' evaluation of intelligence of a person are wholly and solely based on the person's academic performance. There is little credit given to originality, skill and understanding.

The people making those evaluations are known as morons.

"The child is father to the man", Wordsworth you know. How profound that is I think. Why is that so? I mean, we could start another thread on that one. It just goes to show how "history" affects our present behavior. That ties in well with another post I made elsewhere here about history. . . might use it if they come back on me. Thanks for the heads-up.

i don't think happiness and intelligence are tied together during childhood...i know of one person who plays along with jeopardy on television, gets 90% of the answers correct, (this person reads like it's an addiction), yet had their parent pass away suddenly when they were 3 years old. of course it was very traumatic, because this person and their parent were very close to one another.

my parents divorced when i was young (3 years old), yet in grade school they wanted to move me up a grade level in the 2nd grade, and then also in the 5th grade. my mother opted not to have me move, so i was always one of the top students. once i reached junior high school, my focus for school declined some and i was back to the average student.

i tend to think intelligence is something you are born with, but it is a person's will to use it that makes that intelligence blossom...

Does anyone know the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder on intelligence?

after doing a google search, there only seemed to be anxiety disorders and relationship problems associated with post-traumatic stress disorder...nothing tied to intelligence. i think if a child in general is happier, they may focus what intelligence they are born with better then a child who doesn't, but i doubt that a level of intelligence is affected by happiness or lack of in a young child.

I think it may become important to define "intelligence", at some point. After all, a person with no access to the knowledge that they may crave, will not become "knowledgeable" (obviously). So, if "intelligence" is merely the amount of knowledge you possess, then your upbringing can indeed have a great influence. However, if "intelligence" is the facility with which you would attain knowledge and comprehension (given the opportunity) then I don't see how your happiness in childhood could really affect it.

Well, I'm looking now and while I'm not getting anything about intelligence per se, PTSD apparently destroys concentration which probably would decrease intelligence.

I found something that says PTSD does not decrease intelligence but how that squares with interfering with concentration, I do not know.

1. How does childhood happiness affect intelligence?

Research has shown that there is a strong correlation between childhood happiness and intelligence. Children who are happy tend to have higher IQ scores and perform better in academic settings. This is because when a child is happy, their brain releases dopamine, which is a neurotransmitter that aids in learning and memory. Additionally, happy children are more likely to engage in activities that promote cognitive development, such as playing and exploring.

2. Can intelligence be taught or learned?

Intelligence is a complex concept and there is no definitive answer to this question. However, research suggests that while some aspects of intelligence, such as IQ, are largely influenced by genetics, other aspects can be nurtured and developed through learning and experience. This is especially true during childhood, as the brain is constantly developing and forming new connections.

3. How can parents promote both happiness and intelligence in their children?

There are several ways that parents can promote both happiness and intelligence in their children. First and foremost, creating a loving and supportive environment is crucial. This includes providing opportunities for play and exploration, as well as encouraging curiosity and creativity. Additionally, parents can engage in activities that stimulate cognitive development, such as reading, puzzles, and educational games.

4. Is there a difference between emotional intelligence and traditional intelligence?

Yes, there is a difference between emotional intelligence and traditional intelligence. Traditional intelligence, also known as IQ, refers to cognitive abilities such as problem-solving, reasoning, and critical thinking. Emotional intelligence, on the other hand, refers to the ability to understand and manage one's own emotions, as well as the emotions of others. Both types of intelligence are important for overall well-being and success in life.

5. Can a child be too intelligent for their own happiness?

While high intelligence can bring many advantages, it is not a guarantee for happiness. In fact, some studies have shown that extremely high levels of intelligence can lead to social and emotional difficulties in children. It is important for parents and educators to support and nurture the whole child, rather than solely focusing on their intelligence. This includes promoting social skills, emotional well-being, and a healthy work-life balance.