News Children adoption by gays.

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
russ_watters said:
Perhaps there is a little bit of the 1950s separation of the sexes in there (some of my female friends would say so), but there is more to it than that: a man really cannot explain sex/childbirth/relationships to his daughter anywhere near as well as a woman can. And vice versa for mothers with their sons. Equality of the sexes only goes so far: there are differences that will always exist and kids need to see both sides.
Perhaps that would just suggest that it would be best if they matched the child being adopted to the same sex as the adoptive parents. However, I don't really thing that's necessary. Other relatives can help out in providing the influence of another sex, such as an aunt or uncle or even a best friend. And, quite frankly, I think either sex can explain the birds and the bees equally well (or equally badly). I learned very little about sex from my mom, nothing about childbirth, and she was no help with relationships either. When my nephew was born, I was frankly baffled at my mom's questions about him and his birth, which sounded like she'd never been through it herself (then again, that might explain a lot). Anyway, I think gay couples (or even single people of any sexual orientation) adopting is a wonderful thing. You take an orphaned child in need of a loving parent and an adult who desperately wants to love a child and put them together...it's a great thing. And, to take it a step further, it might even be better for children to be adopted by gay couples than heterosexual couples. I've known a few adopted children, and one thing that sometimes leads to problems is when their parents who thought they were infertile suddenly manage to conceive and then tend to exhibit a lot of favoritism toward their biological child rather than their adopted child. With a gay couple, there's no chance they'll have any biological children.

Anyway, there is no shortage of orphaned or foster children in the world, so anyone willing to take on caring for and loving them should be allowed to do so.