Children and TV

• Thread starter Prometheus
  • Start date
It wasn't clear enough. Sorry about that. I meant "I would say you should just let your child watch t.v if he wants." Therefore; if you asked me what my opinion was I would tell you that you should just let your child watch television if he wishes to. Through this I was giving my opinion on what you should do.

In a poorly written way I was saying. "I would do this if I were you... but the decision is yours." Since it was a discussion thread I figured people were giving their opinions.

People who are defending television are giving their opinion on what they would do with their own child as well.

That was a bit rude man. Do you mind explaining yourself? When I watched/watch television I think about what's going on. When the villian dies I analyze what happened and think about other situations with villians. I look at the morals of a show and think about the justification of them. This doesn't go for every show, but it goes for some. I remember when I was a kid I'd look at the morals in children's shows. Sometimes I'd be thinking to myself (that's obviously incorrect.)

Television has seems to have increased my imagination at least.
Well since you didn't originally take the time to explain yourself I thought it was okay if I did the same.

You do know that there have been studies on watching TV and it has been proven that people's brain waves decrease while watching it. To put it bluntly, your brain is more active if you just stair into your backyard than when you're watching TV. If anything watching TV decreases your imagination because you're brain doesn't have to form an image of whats going on when it just getting it fed to it directly.

Why do you think reading is difficult to those who aren't use to it? They're finally working that brain of theirs! Just like when you're out of shape and you can't run a mile, its hard until you get in shape. Your mind is just like a muscle, if you exercise it, it gets stronger.

Evo
Mentor
Prometheus said:
Is this directed toward me? If so, I don't understand your position.
No, not at you. In general about people trying to keep their children oblivious to what is happening in the world. If you don't discuss the things that are wrong in the world with your children as they grow up, how will they know what is wrong when they are confronted with it? How will they know how to handle a bad situation?

Prometheus said:
My kid has traveled to several countries, and is developing an aptitude in several languages. My kid likes to meet children and adults at any time, and has no fear of anyone or any language. We vaisit people from very diverse cultures on a regular basis. I consider that this is a "reality" that is more valuable than missing the current barage of garbage on tv. (My apologies to the educational programs that are available on the local pbs channel.)
TV is not a necessity and can be a waste of time if your children watch nothing but mindless garbage. It sounds like you are not sheltering your child, you just don't watch tv.

I never restricted my kids from watching tv. Neither of my kids ever got interested in tv. My youngest never watches tv when she's home, she hasn't watched tv in at least three years.

Entropy said:
Well since you didn't originally take the time to explain yourself I thought it was okay if I did the same.
I'm just crazy. Thanks for the explaination. :biggrin: