Are Children Fighting and Adult Neglect Common in American Communities?

• Thread starter kant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Children
In summary: This video is sadly not an anomaly. :(In summary, this video is the result of poor parenting and poor social skills. Kids in America are more likely to fight than kids in other parts of the world, and this type of behavior is not condoned by the adults in the neighborhood.
kant
and the adults are allowing it. Is this a common practice for americans?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7823043912147406094&q=ghetto+fights [Broken]

I just want to "wow" you.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
haha, you said "common practice for americans". What ever gave you that idea? You think we're animals? Those are just immature jackasses. We find them in every culture, in every part of the world. And we wonder how our kids turn out screwed...

I bet this far more common place in most other countries.

kant said:

With three-hundred-million people here, there are all kinds.

No, this is not common, this is total crap put on by low life, low intelligence, sub humans.

You will not see this type of behaviour in normal neighborhoods. Nor is this type of behaviour condoned in the low income areas either.

Evo said:
No, this is not common, this is total crap put on by low life, low intelligence, sub humans.
I do take offense with this kind of statements.
Your suggestion that there are humans and sub-humans and higher life and lower life humans is the core of all discrimination in human culture.

Humans come in all varieties but they are still all humans.
To call some human beings sub-human is extremely offensive to me.

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
You suggestion that there are humans and sub-humans and higher life and lower life humans is the core of all discrimination in human culture.

You sound very ambitious. :wink:

MeJennifer said:
What did you think of the dichotomy between "normal" and "low-income" neighborhoods?

jimmysnyder said:
What did you think of the dichotomy between "normal" and "low-income" neighborhoods?
Well to me that is simply not a dichotomy. :smile:
Ánd in all fairness Evo's statement did not state that it is a dichotomy either.

Last edited:
ranger said:
haha, you said "common practice for americans". What ever gave you that idea? You think we're animals? Those are just immature jackasses. We find them in every culture, in every part of the world. And we wonder how our kids turn out screwed...

I think you're all just animals, but then I tend to consider the entire human species all just animals, that people are surprised when we are barely more than apes, and some of us behave the way we do is a surprise to me :smile:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I think you're all just animals, but then I tend to consider the entire human species all just animals, that people are surprised when we are barely more than apes, and some of us behave the way we do is a surprise to me :smile:

Are certain animals, such as Schroedinger's animals, better than the rest? :biggrin:

MeJennifer said:
Ánd in all fairness Evo's statement did not state that it is a dichotomy either.
Funny, she used the word "either" in exactly the same way you did.

As for children fighting, I note the following.
1. There is no scarcity of martial arts academies in America which cater primarily to children.
2. We don't have child armies in America as they do in some countries.

MeJennifer said:
Sorry you're offended, but not all humans act humanely. I do consider actions by some humans as sub-human. You don't need to agree with me. But I'm right. :biggrin:

I just wanted to pound the head of that "father" with a baseball bat.

Hmm.

I guess I'm still working on the Irony prize.

And then people wonder why some kids have no chance to break free of poverty when they have parents like that. How will they ever learn social skills needed to be successful with such low lifes for parents? Those kids should be taken away and those parents thrown behind bars for child abuse...surely the punishment for pitting your kids in fights with one another like that should be at least as harsh as if you were fighting dogs or cocks. :mad:

I find the video very sad. Unfortunately violence is all too common in some American neighborhoods and in some families (domestic abuse).

jimmysnyder said:
As for children fighting, I note the following.
1. There is no scarcity of martial arts academies in America which cater primarily to children.
2. We don't have child armies in America as they do in some countries.
1. Most martial arts academies do not teach the brawling observed in the video. Rather, they teach self-discpline and restraint, and respect for other people. However, I have seen some gung-ho types whose methods would seem to inspire that kind of behavior.

2. While the US doesn't have child armies, it does have gangs, and kids carry guns, and kids kill other kids, sometimes as initiation into a gang. I think most people outside of such areas try to avoid thinking about it.

I just returned from Houston and while I was there a young man (15-17) was found murdered in the parking lot of an apartment complex. Police are asking for any information as to the identity of the young man and of those who might have shot him.

When I lived in Houston 30+ years ago, IIRC there were about 10 homicides/day. It's way down now - but violence is still a problem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston,_Texas#Crime

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hurricane/4277375.html

Interesting perspective - VIOLENCE & HISTORY
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,838226,00.html

radou said:
Are certain animals, such as Schroedinger's animals, better than the rest? :biggrin:

Probably not I haven't been neutered :smile:

Astronuc said:
While the US doesn't have child armies, it does have gangs, and kids carry guns, and kids kill other kids, sometimes as initiation into a gang.
The OP's question was limited to America. Your comparison does not convince me that such limitation is valid.

The video brought me to mind of a documentary I had seen on TV about some country, though now I cannot recall which. It showed a couple of kids about 3 or 4 years old, the age also I don't recall. I think their left arms were bound to each other and this also is dim in my mind. The part I do remember vividly is that they were hitting each other with their fists. During this ceremony parents looked on as both children were punching and crying. Does anyone here know what I am talking about? I hate to say which country I think it was for fear of insulting the innocent, but I think it was in Asia.

kant said:
It is probably as common as it is for the French to randomly burn cars left in the street.

You can get hard data on the French car flambe'. It is overwhelmingly much more common there than it is anywhere else. It is also largely restricted to certain segments of the population.

The US is a great deal larger than any given European country. It is not nearly as homogeneous as any European country. While the Europeans celebrate their own diversity (which includes the French cars, Italian politics, continental skinheads, and a lot of other nastiness), the US has plenty of diversity of it's own, a fact the Europeans never seem to understand.

You just saw a part of that.

twisting_edge said:
It is probably as common as it is for the French to randomly burn cars left in the street.

You can get hard data on the French car flambe'. It is overwhelmingly much more common there than it is anywhere else. It is also largely restricted to certain segments of the population.

The US is a great deal larger than any given European country. It is not nearly as homogeneous as any European country. While the Europeans celebrate their own diversity (which includes the French cars, Italian politics, continental skinheads, and a lot of other nastiness), the US has plenty of diversity of it's own, a fact the Europeans never seem to understand.

You just saw a part of that.

You mean a fact that many Europeans don't understand, believe it or not most people don't base their view of a country solely on it's government, it's media or the views of people on forums. Some people can think for themselves, have talked to people from the country and have a better perspective. Stop generalising based on a generalisation :smile:

ST. PETERSBURG - Police are looking seriously into charges of child abuse in the making of a video that shows two young children fighting viciously while parents watch on laughing, yelling racial slurs and prodding the children to fight more.

http://www.tallahassee.com/legacy/special/blogs/2006/11/video-children-fight-while-parents-egg.html [Broken]

kant said:
...Is this a common practice for americans?...

I just want to "wow" you.:rolleyes:
If it were common, you wouldn't be "wow"ing us, would you? Just shows that your question is either rhetorical or disingenuous.

hypatia said:
ST. PETERSBURG - Police are looking seriously into charges of child abuse in the making of a video that shows two young children fighting viciously while parents watch on laughing, yelling racial slurs and prodding the children to fight more.

http://www.tallahassee.com/legacy/special/blogs/2006/11/video-children-fight-while-parents-egg.html [Broken]
Thank goodness. I think they should take the children away and sterilize the parents. :mad:

Definately SUB-HUMAN! What kind of demented being stages a pick-up fight for their child? Child Protective Svcs should make all the parents fight Kimbo Slice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimbo_Slice" [Broken]

MeJennifer said:
Your suggestion that there are humans and sub-humans and higher life and lower life humans is the core of all discrimination in human culture.

I agree with Evo on her comments. I guess you will remain offended.

hypatia said:
Well the police should. Those adults endangered the welfare of those children, and it was certainly a depraved form of human behavior, whether or not one could consider the parents 'sub-human'. If that is how those children are normally treated, what kind of adults will they become? And what will the cost be to the community be ten or more years from now?

Astronuc said:
it was certainly a depraved form of human behavior, whether or not one could consider the parents 'sub-human'.
No, if the parents are 'sub-human', then it wasn't any form of human behavior.

I detect a reluctance for some to admit that this is human behavior. The parents are human, even if one could consider them 'sub-human'. If you call a tail a leg, then how many legs does a cow have?

Guys this is really a catch 22. Moonbear, you mentioned teaching these kids social skills. You are quite correct, but before some kids can even utilize social skills, they need to learn the survival skills required by their immediate neighborhood. They don't have the luxury or ability to just skip out of their home neighborhood and move to something better. They have to deal with what they have been handed. I'm not saying it's right, but it's the way things are.

jimmysnyder said:
I detect a reluctance for some to admit that this is human behavior. The parents are human, even if one could consider them 'sub-human'. If you call a tail a leg, then how many legs does a cow have?
Exactly!

Dehumanization is what can lead to war, slavery, racial hatred, Abu Ghraib etc. Dehumanization is the total disrespect for who we are.

MeJennifer said:
I remember seeing a video of a guy messing around with a skateboard and then I don't remember what happened, but for some reason he started hitting some guy over the head with the trucks of his skateboard. That guy hit over the head died that night or the next day. Another video I recall watching was some group of kids thinking it would be fun to kick some dog laying on the ground a bunch of times. Another video which many people have probably seen is the one in which some gangster talks about how he don't care bout nobody/whatever and then takes a crowbar to a passing car's windows and whatever...

Now, those are just videos that I have seen. There are people who rape/kill/torture/whatever who are much worse than those who I mentioned. Many people have such a disregard for human life, that they would be able to kill thousands with their bare hands without feeling any emotion, except for joy in the even more twisted ones.

It is offensive to ME to be categorized in the same group as those people.

EDIT: Actually, it's not offensive to me at all, I just added that in there just to add to the drama :biggrin:

1. Are children fighting and adult neglect common in American communities?

The prevalence of children fighting and adult neglect in American communities varies depending on the specific community and its demographics. However, these issues are unfortunately present in many communities across the country.

2. What are the contributing factors to children fighting and adult neglect in American communities?

There is no one specific factor that contributes to these issues, as they are complex and can be influenced by a variety of social, economic, and cultural factors. Some possible contributing factors may include poverty, lack of access to resources and support, exposure to violence and trauma, and inadequate parenting or caregiver support.

3. How do these issues impact the well-being of children and adults in American communities?

Children who experience fighting and neglect may suffer from physical and emotional harm, as well as developmental delays and difficulties in school. Adults who experience neglect may also face physical and emotional consequences, as well as challenges in maintaining stable employment and relationships.

4. What can be done to address and prevent children fighting and adult neglect in American communities?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution, but some potential strategies include increasing access to resources and support for families, promoting positive parenting practices, addressing systemic issues such as poverty and inequality, and providing education and training on conflict resolution and healthy relationships.

5. How can individuals and communities support those affected by these issues?

Individuals and communities can support those affected by children fighting and adult neglect by advocating for policies and programs that address the root causes of these issues, offering support and resources to families in need, and promoting a culture of empathy, understanding, and non-violent conflict resolution.