Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chilli grenades

1. Jun 28, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8119591.stm

There has to be a good joke here but it's not coming...

Turbo! Stay out of the grenades!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2009 #2
    Well its more or less what pepper spray is made of. Back when I had a co-worker tell me that he used to spray his tacos with his pepper spray.

4. Jun 28, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Finally a thread that lives up to its title.

5. Jun 28, 2009 #4
    I don't know what the fuss is all about.

Where I live at, we just eat the stuff. Chile is an everyday supplemental ingredient in all kinds of dishes.

Tastes goog!

6. Jun 28, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where do you live?

7. Jun 28, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Jun 28, 2009 #7
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/NR7Do62IqCY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param [Broken] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NR7Do62IqCY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Jun 28, 2009 #8
    Years ago I was at a party and one dude wanted to be macho and show that he could drink some novelty hot sauce that someone brought as a gag gift. He drank a capful and barely managed to restrain himself from yelping (although I really doubt any of the women were impressed). But I guess one of his eyes must have watered, and then he must have touched his eye with trace amounts of hot sauce remaining on his finger. There was screaming, and I don't believe he was able to recover that night.

10. Jun 28, 2009 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Grenades? What a waste of good chilies! Should save those peppers for my marinades and sauces. My wife is taking her shift caring for her mother, so I picked the easy way out for supper last night. Applegate Farms ballpark franks on rolls with habanero relish and hot mustard. Mmmm!

11. Jun 28, 2009 #10

turbo

Gold Member

One of my college roommates used to like hot stuff (though not as hot as I did), and on his last shift stocking shelves at a supermarket before heading off to school, he bragged that he could drink a bottle of Tobasco sauce. A bunch of his co-workers put up money and Tom took the bet. They shook a whole bottle of Tobasco into a paper cup, Tom gulped it down, grabbed the cash, then ran out to the loading dock and immediately threw up. The bad part is that the vomiting was pretty convulsive and a lot of Tobasco ended up coming out of his nose. OUCH! He should have trained a bit for that one.

12. Jun 28, 2009 #11

El Paso, TX

Chilies grow like weeds around here...:wink:

13. Jun 28, 2009 #12

turbo

Gold Member

What a coincidence. Just as I scrolled up your post, the "shuffle" mode of my CD player had switched to "Mexican Divorce" by Ry Cooder. "Down below El Paso like Juarez..." Perfect timing.

14. Jun 28, 2009 #13
    That's funny! :smile:

I saw the picture of your house you posted last week (?) with your big garden. Do you grow chilies up there where you live?

15. Jun 28, 2009 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Sure do! Jalapeno, habanero, cayenne, Hungarian wax all have a place in the garden. We have been cold and rainy for the past couple of months, so I'm hoping for a nice hot dry spell to get the peppers jump-started.

16. Jun 28, 2009 #15
  17. Jun 28, 2009 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought chili grenades are what happens AFTER you eat the chili. :uhh: :biggrin:

18. Jun 28, 2009 #17

ranger

Gold Member

Meh, no big deal. What westerners call hot is nothing at all. Whenever I eat out I take my own homemade hot sauce :p I remember when my cousin who migrated to the States first had Chilli. He was very disapponted.

One thing about these so called "death sauce" is that they have no flavor whatsoever. They only take away from the food. The best sauces I've had were both extremely hot and tastey. But it's all homemade stuff or locally made.

Most overrated hot sauce: tabasco

19. Jun 28, 2009 #18
    You seem to be contradicting yourself. First you say Western sauce is no good because it's not spicy enough. Then you say that the "death sauce" has no flavor, and it only takes away from the food. If the death sauce has no flavor, then all it does is add spiciness, but if adding spiciness takes away from the food, then why don't you like Western sauce?

I don't know, it makes no sense at all to me...to simulate the feeling of my mouth being on fire. How can you taste any flavor when your mouth is burning up?

20. Jun 28, 2009 #19

turbo

Gold Member

It is not only sour (vinegar), but not very hot. Tabasco is mass-produced crap. If I had the acreage and some financial backing, I could sink that company. Consumer-inertia and brand-loyalty would sustain them for some time, but I think that I would be able to unseat them in a couple of years. Their product is dated and inadequate.

21. Jun 28, 2009 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tabasco isn't hot. I don't like it anyway, because it has too much vinegar in it, so it more often spoils the taste of food. (Edit: turbo beat me to it!) The tastiest hot sauce I ever had was one that someone I knew bought when he visited one of the Carribean islands (I don't remember which one anymore). It was something homemade. We had a big bbq with chicken wings made with that sauce on them...mmmmmmm, yummy yummy! It had a real kick to it, but not so much that you couldn't taste the flavor.

That's really a challenge, finding something that has both heat AND flavor. In order to get the heat, too many people just start subtracting other ingredients and adding more of their flavorless hot sauce, so there's no flavor left.

I had a very tasty cooking accident not long ago. I was bbq'ing some chicken quarters, and put on a dry rub first. I decided I wanted it spicier...the dry rub is a little spicy, but not much...something that all but the most sensitive can eat. I have a big container of chipotle powder, and tried to sprinkle a little on, and oops, too much poured out. The chicken was fully coated in it. I grilled it, added some homemade bbq sauce (recipe shamelessly stolen from my boyfriend), and nearly choked on the first bite not expecting it to be quite that hot (I've used the chipotle powder before, and it was never very hot...I just never used that much before). But, once I knew to take smaller bites, and got past the skin and into the underlying meat that the flavor had really cooked through into (too often all the flavor just stays on the skin), it was REALLY tasty. That nice smoked chipotle taste was wonderful, and a pleasant kick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook