Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chilli Help

1. May 10, 2008 #1
    Hey, keep it brief.

I have just eaten two small chillis and it is killing my throat and tongue. How the hell do I stop it, I've scratched my eye and it has gone blood red. Help me out guys it bloody aches!

_Mayday_ (Quite literally)

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Putting a spoonful of sugar on your tongue and letting it dissolve can help with the throat/mouth problem. As for your eye, I'd recommend flushing it with warm salt water. A visit to your doctor might also be in the offing.

4. May 10, 2008 #3
    Tried milk, not work.

I will try this. thns

5. May 10, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I have been bitten by habanero chilies while making my chili relishes, etc. I have tried some remedies, but time seems to be the best healer. Sorry.

6. May 10, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Be careful, turbo's innards have been replaced with solid steel. You may be more sensitive. I've had to give up hot stuff for now, I have a scarred esophagus, among other things, and eating anything is painful, but even raw onions now are too painful to swallow. :frown:

7. May 10, 2008 #6
    It's gone, I'm such an idiot. Trying to be macho in the kitchen, nothing worked, I just had to bhe patient and drink lots or water with a few seconds in between sips. How the hell do people like it when its that hot?

8. May 10, 2008 #7
    I can take spicy, two of these little monsters and Im out though.

9. May 10, 2008 #8

Evo

You have to gradually build up a tolerance over time.

10. May 10, 2008 #9
    Will red ring ensue? I'm a hide fan of indian cuisine, I dont know the names of it all but I do like a hot curry every now and again.

11. May 10, 2008 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Wow... me too. You're the only other person that I've heard of who had that.

12. May 10, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your pain isn't over yet. :devil: What goes in must come out. :surprised

13. May 10, 2008 #12

turbo

Gold Member

A scarred esophagus? That doesn't sound good for a chili-head like me. I have been splitting and stacking firewood all day, and I'm thinking about forgoing anything complex for supper. Looks like fried hot dogs and rolls in butter with habanero relish, horseradish, raw vidalia onions, and yellow mustard for me. Mmm. Ought to go good with a Molson.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  14. May 10, 2008 #13

Astronuc

What are you complaining about. Enjoy the experience - relish the fire! :biggrin:

If it's too much some salty crackers and yoghurt would ease the burn, or an olive oil based salad dressing.

15. May 10, 2008 #14

wolram

Gold Member

I remember the time Astro helped me, hells teeth my goo lies were in the devils kitchen, he is still my number one hero

16. May 11, 2008 #15

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Astro has a good point.. The reason is that most of the heat in chilis comes from capsaicin which is fat soluable. Yoghurt, a piece of cheese, any food containing oil will cut the heat by diluting the capsaicin. It is hydrophobic, so water (water soluable drinks) won't wash away the acute burning sensation.

However, once you are burned, that's a physical injury akin to that suffered after eating scalding soup (tomato, potato and any chowder comes to mind). Under those circumstances, I agree with Turbo, time is the best healer.

See this ref for additional food for thought.

17. May 11, 2008 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Yep! Once the damage is done, time is the mediator. When the active ingredients are still in your mouth and working away, it may help to have some fatty foods like cheese, cream, whole milk, etc to pull some of that, but once you have gotten overloaded (burned) you'll have to ride it out. Especially when sensitive areas and mucous membranes are involved.

18. May 11, 2008 #17

Astronuc

Butter could work, but ice cream would be better with the coldness in addition to the creamy texture and sweet taste.

http://sulcus.berkeley.edu/mcb/165_001/papers/manuscripts/_209.html

That's a great site that Ouabache cited. It explains why I enjoy ginger, as well as hot peppers. I love ginger beer, but most are too mild. I like ginger beer with a burn, the stronger the better.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  19. May 11, 2008 #18
    They were from Zimbabwe. Didn't even know Zimbabwe grew them in mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?