Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chimps now hunting with spears

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Holy Crap

This Is Awesome

Now - could humans teach chimps to use their weapons? Think of it - chimpanzee or dolphin guerilla fighters. ;-)
  4. Feb 22, 2007 #3
    If you think about it's not that much different from using twigs to dislodge grubs, it's a bigger stick and a bigger animal.

When they start using bows and arrows give me a shout :smile:

None the less a testament to primate ingenuity.
  5. Feb 22, 2007 #4
    uplift wars by brin comming true
  6. Feb 22, 2007 #5
    I don't know... I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, the more we study chimps, the more we seem to find surprising intelligence in them.

But I wouldn't take it from Yahoo news (or any news paper for that matter) until i read some official research... the media tends to, not lie... exaggerate science stories.

EDIT: p.s: this is unrelated, but there was an article in a recent Discover mag. that talked a little about how the media exaggerates science stories. it was the case of scientists who found some way to bend light around an object (I don't remember very well the details).
    the media jumped on it right away, labeling it an "invisibility cloak," speculating armies being able to make entire buildings invisible using this technology... the actual device is huge, and is able to bend light only around a tiny piece of matter, making it "invisible." (I'm sure someone on this forum knows what I'm talking about better than I do :) ) ... it was a pretty funny article. in the interview they talked about how TV stations made them wear white cloaks and protective glasses to make them look more sciencey.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  7. Feb 22, 2007 #6

Gold Member

Yeah, they weren't throwing them, they were stabbing with them, not quite a spear - more like a pointed stick.

As 'Ding's Dog points out, chimps use sticks to dislodge grubs and poke in termite hills.
  8. Feb 23, 2007 #7

Gold Member

Its not a far step from coaxing grubs and ants onto a piece of straw and then eating them (which has been documented from observations of chimp behavior). Straw/spear/eat. Pretty obvious progression.
  9. Mar 15, 2007 #8
    By the same token, it's hardly a vast leap from big pokey stick, to throwing big pokey stick. (The space shuttle follows shortly after this!:bugeye: )
  10. Mar 16, 2007 #9

Gold Member

So that's how they do it! They tie the space shuttle to a stick and throw it out of the atmosphere! Cool:smile:
  11. Mar 16, 2007 #10
    As OThe SwerveO points out, it's interesting that only female chimpanzees use the big pokey stick for practical purposes. I believe this situation will truly reflect early human societies when the males use the big pokey stick on each other.
  12. Mar 22, 2007 #11
  13. Mar 26, 2007 #12

The OP link didn't work for me... youtube:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  14. Mar 26, 2007 #13
    yep yahoo link is dead. in my locked thread there's another link with full video.
  15. Mar 26, 2007 #14
    What does this mean then? This means nothing. We have evovled from this exact same place as they are doing now and we would never let them have a chance to send us back there.
  16. Mar 26, 2007 #15
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?