Is China the New Benchmark for Progress in Science and Morality?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    China Law
In summary: I'm not sure. Morality doesn't seem to have a lot to do with science, other than the fact that they both evolved from the same source. If science really progressed faster in China because of their lack of political freedom, then there would be a lot more advances in medical technology, for example, that we simply don't have because of government restrictions.In summary, China's economic model is successful, but their human rights record is poor.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
On another forum (full of a bunch of idiots like me), someone started out a thread called "Morality vs. Science" which contained this great quote

Here in the US - it's the Right versus Left ideology; which can put a hamper on progress thru legislative regulations. Countries like China, don't believe their moral valuations shouldn't drive the scientific free-market, though. Which has allowed them actual progress.

A few pages later, one of the people who actually has a brain on her head says

The irony of China being brought up as a good model for something in a thread entitled "Morality VS Science" is supremely astounding. When they stop violating basic human rights by throwing people in jail for making twitter posts that question the government, we can examine them further as an economic model.

With that, I propose a new Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving China approaches 1".

So it is written, so it shall come to pass.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do economic models have to do with either morality or science? Anyhow, I don't see how China's human rights abuses disprove their economic model.

ideasrule said:
What do economic models have to do with either morality or science?

Unimportant. Continue.

Actually I didn't bother reading the thread because the political section over there is a wasteland of idiocy. I just wanted to pull that part out to prove my point.

Anyhow, I don't see how China's human rights abuses disprove their economic model.

Look harder.

With enough Godwin's Laws, you can cover every conversation and deplete all meaning from Godwin's Law. Godwin's Law XLII: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving one of Godwin's Laws approaches 1.

Pengwuino said:
Actually I didn't bother reading the thread because the political section over there is a wasteland of idiocy.

This is either a sarcastic remark on PF's P&WA or you've truly found a place worse than the sub-forum that is the a-hole of this site.

Pengwuino said:
Unimportant. Continue.

Actually I didn't bother reading the thread because the political section over there is a wasteland of idiocy. I just wanted to pull that part out to prove my point.

but do the facts support your conclusion? does science really advance faster in china? do they not have their own morals and superstitions that impede progress in other ways?

if you go look at their property bubble, then you have to seriously question things like central planning. how much science could have progressed if people were not investing in building shopping malls and housing that no one wants or can afford to live in?

Pengwuino said:
Look harder.

It's possible to have a successful economy without political freedom, and it's possible to have a free economy without political freedom. The best example is probably China itself, so I don't know what that user's point was.

JaredJames said:
This is either a sarcastic remark on PF's P&WA or you've truly found a place worse than the sub-forum that is the a-hole of this site.

... PF's P&WA forum is like a diamond encrusted golden crown when it comes to online political discussions. Hell, most political subforums on the internet have the second post in every thread as "THE NAZIS WANTD UNVERSL HELTH CARE! YOUR A NAZI!"

Proton Soup said:
but do the facts support your conclusion? does science really advance faster in china? do they not have their own morals and superstitions that impede progress in other ways?

No idea, those posts I quoted weren't mine. I have no opinion on the matter.

ideasrule said:
It's possible to have a successful economy without political freedom, and it's possible to have a free economy without political freedom. The best example is probably China itself, so I don't know what that user's point was.

Probably true but is that something to strive for?

1. What is "China as Godwin's Law II"?

"China as Godwin's Law II" is a concept that compares the current international criticism and demonization of China to the rise of Nazi Germany and Hitler's persecution of Jews during World War II.

2. Where did the term "China as Godwin's Law II" originate?

The term was coined by Chinese economist and professor Zhang Weiwei in his book "China Shock: The Rise of a Civilizational State" published in 2020.

3. How does "China as Godwin's Law II" relate to Godwin's Law?

Godwin's Law states that as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1. Similarly, "China as Godwin's Law II" suggests that as China's power and influence grow, the likelihood of it being compared to Nazi Germany also increases.

4. Is "China as Godwin's Law II" a valid comparison?

This is a highly debated topic, with some arguing that China's actions and policies do bear similarities to those of Nazi Germany, while others argue that the comparison is exaggerated and unfair. Ultimately, the validity of the comparison is subjective and open to interpretation.

5. How has "China as Godwin's Law II" been received in China?

The concept has been embraced by some Chinese officials and citizens as a way to defend against international criticism and assert China's sovereignty. However, others have criticized it as a way to deflect valid criticism and avoid accountability for human rights abuses and other issues.