Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

China bans reincarnating without government permission

1. Aug 29, 2007 #1
    The government of China is making moves to "institutionalize management of reincarnation."

Government managing reincarnation? LOL. I was under the, apparently incorrect, impression that the government of China would cease making obvious fools of themselves before the '08 Olympics.

Ooops! Greg, I hope I didn't just get PF banned in China for you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2007 #2
    Stop! Do you have permission to reincarnate?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20227400/site/newsweek/

I'm not sure what to make of this...:confused::rofl::mad::uhh::frown::cry:

4. Aug 29, 2007 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Maybe it is always April 1st over there in China and everyone is having a good laugh at this.

Zz.

5. Aug 29, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, at least they aren't banning it altogether. It just requires a bit more paperwork than it used to. :rolleyes:

6. Aug 29, 2007 #5
  7. Aug 29, 2007 #6
    Yup. I realised that you also check /. every few minutes, after I posted the thread. :tongue: :wink:

8. Aug 29, 2007 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wonder how they plan on enforcing this law! :rolleyes:

9. Aug 29, 2007 #8
    Doesn't everyone? :)

10. Aug 29, 2007 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah! That explains the nearly concurrent threads started about a story I read two weeks ago!

11. Aug 29, 2007 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Ghostbusters?
    I am absolutely astounded. Every time that I think I've already seen the stupidest possible thing on the face of the planet, something like this shows up...

12. Aug 29, 2007 #11

Evo

Will anyone believe that the government can override what is destined? Wouldn't that require a belief that the Government has more power than their spiritual beliefs?

13. Aug 29, 2007 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's probably just a cost saving measure for goverment forms.
    Otherwise your drving licence would have to have "Date of Birth", "Previous Date of Birth", "Next Date of Birth" etc....

14. Aug 29, 2007 #13
    I only hope we dont see a influx of alien immigrant ghost spirits!

15. Aug 29, 2007 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Everyone does realize that this is a pure power grab, right? It is not a good sign, but I don't think China or anyone else stands any chance of putting the lid on this [religion], information technology, or free thought. The cat is already out of the bag.

16. Aug 29, 2007 #15

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I personally believe, that the reason people are doing stupider and stupider things is that many people don't have brains and we should give the people in China, South African brains, and Chinese, such as in Iraq and South Africa, will, you know, for the children..............

17. Aug 29, 2007 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I wonder what the penalties are if you reincarnate without permission?

18. Aug 29, 2007 #17

berkeman

I think I would be scared if I understood what you just said... :confused: :rofl:

19. Aug 29, 2007 #18

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think GO1 is going to have to do very well in the swimsuit competition to win this!

20. Aug 29, 2007 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm going play Meph and say I'm with China on this one. In fact, I'll go further and say that goverments should treat all religious proselytising and preaching of unphysical doctrine as equivalent to fraud and hold the church/mosque/temple/monastery liable for criminal charges.

21. Aug 30, 2007 #20

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I just blanked on that question! Let me go on Good Morning America and answer it again, and you'll see I know what I'm talking about!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?