China getting reading for Olympics

In summary, Beijing citizens have been instructed to refrain from picking their noses, yawning, or scratching their heads while conversing with foreigners during the Olympics. This has been seen as an attempt to present a good image to the world and avoid any negative stereotypes. Some people have questioned the effectiveness and necessity of these measures, citing similar rules in other countries and the difficulty of controlling natural bodily functions. However, others argue that these rules are in place for the safety and well-being of both citizens and visitors. Overall, the issue raises questions about cultural differences and the impact of media on perceptions of different societies.
Physics news on Phys.org
You're saying diseases can be spread by yawning or scratching your head? I can somewhat understand the nose-picking one.

When I went to Thailand I was told not to sneeze in public ( I have allergies!), not to touch anyone on the shoulder, and to be careful that when I sat, not to have my feet pointed in anyone's direction. The sneezing in public was a no-no in Japan as well.

Cyrus said:
Whats insane about that? There used to be signs that said no spitting in the US because people would spread TB when they spit out their tobacco.

I think malaysia you can't spit either or chew gum.

It's good if they don't let the media come to know about these things. But now, any irrational person (who hasn't seen any Chinese before) would assume that all/most Chinese people pick their noses, yell at each other ... etc. while talking to each other ...

And, they shouldn't be doing this only for Olympics if they think those things are disgusting (or media was ignoring these things before).

Evo said:
The sneezing in public was a no-no in Japan as well.

But, how on Earth someone can control that :eek:

rootX said:
That's what I asked!

Apparently peeing next to a tour bus full of Americans is ok. The windows in the bus were blacked out and I guess they couldn't hear us roaring with laughter.

rootX said:

You hide it with a very loud "ah-so!"?

rootX said:

Sometimes I can stiffle a sneeze by rubbing the spot between my upper lip and nose. But with my luck, that little maneuver is probably the ultimate insult in Thailand and Japan...ten times worse than a sneeze!

rootX said:
Do all nations do that? I think it might be because they are communists -- teaching their people what to do. But, it seems insane!
:rofl:

That's a general statement. It sounds as if, all commuinist governments teach them to do this. Thus if one was in a communist society, they would be taught to do these acts. (If I'm not mistaken, Russia was once a communist country)

1. How long has China been preparing for the Olympics?

China has been preparing for the Olympics for over a decade. The country was awarded the bid to host the 2008 Summer Olympics in 2001, giving them seven years to prepare for the event.

2. How much money has China invested in preparing for the Olympics?

China has invested over $40 billion in preparing for the Olympics. This includes the construction of new venues, transportation infrastructure, and other improvements to the city of Beijing.

3. Will there be any environmental concerns during the Olympics?

China has taken steps to address environmental concerns during the Olympics. The government has implemented stricter air pollution controls and has also implemented measures to reduce water pollution in and around Beijing.

4. How will the Olympics impact the economy of China?

The Olympics are expected to have a positive impact on the economy of China. The influx of tourists and increased consumer spending are expected to boost the country's GDP and create new job opportunities.

5. What safety measures are being taken for the Olympics?

China has implemented strict safety measures for the Olympics. This includes increased security presence, surveillance systems, and emergency response plans. The government has also conducted extensive safety drills to ensure the readiness of emergency responders.