Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

China getting reading for Olympics!

1. Jul 19, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2008 #2
  4. Jul 19, 2008 #3
    You're saying diseases can be spread by yawning or scratching your head? I can somewhat understand the nose-picking one.

5. Jul 19, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

When I went to Thailand I was told not to sneeze in public ( I have allergies!), not to touch anyone on the shoulder, and to be careful that when I sat, not to have my feet pointed in anyone's direction. The sneezing in public was a no-no in Japan as well.

6. Jul 19, 2008 #5
    It's good if they don't let the media come to know about these things. But now, any irrational person (who hasn't seen any Chinese before) would assume that all/most Chinese people pick their noses, yell at each other ... etc. while talking to each other ...

And, they shouldn't be doing this only for Olympics if they think those things are disgusting (or media was ignoring these things before).

7. Jul 19, 2008 #6
    But, how on earth someone can control that :eek:

8. Jul 19, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's what I asked!

Apparently peeing next to a tour bus full of Americans is ok. The windows in the bus were blacked out and I guess they couldn't hear us roaring with laughter.

9. Jul 19, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You hide it with a very loud "ah-so!"?

10. Jul 19, 2008 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sometimes I can stiffle a sneeze by rubbing the spot between my upper lip and nose. But with my luck, that little maneuver is probably the ultimate insult in Thailand and Japan...ten times worse than a sneeze!

11. Jul 19, 2008 #10

~christina~

Gold Member

That's a general statment. It sounds as if, all commuinist governments teach them to do this. Thus if one was in a communist society, they would be taught to do these acts. (If I'm not mistaken, Russia was once a communist country)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?