Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

China, land of the rip off

1. Apr 21, 2009 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2
  4. Apr 21, 2009 #3
    You stupid mongrorians, stop breaking down my wall!

5. Apr 21, 2009 #4
    If the economic situation between the countries were reversed, we would do the same.

This is like a game of chess on steroids. People have been playing these games ever since some caveman stole the idea to make a fire.

6. Apr 21, 2009 #5
    I'm pretty sure the CIA does the same kind of stuff all the time, so economic situation really isn't a determining factor.

7. Apr 21, 2009 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The true source isn't even identified yet at all.

8. Apr 21, 2009 #7
    I agree, we should bomb Canada.

9. Apr 21, 2009 #8
    There isn't really a country that is more advanced technologically then this, so to the extent that CIA collects intelligence is limited to checking out how far other countries have progressed in the tech department.

Not so long ago, around where I live, a Chinese man was detained for stealing laptop containing trade secrets of some small commercial shop. He was caught by FBI at an airport with a one way ticket to China.

10. Apr 21, 2009 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Everybody spies on everybody. In fact, Cyrus, could you move your head just a bit? You're blocking my view of your keyboard.

11. Apr 22, 2009 #10
    This was my wonder when people were complaining of the government allegedly spying on citizens. If we are ok with the CIA or NSA spying on others in other countries why do we have such a problem with our own privacy being threatened? It only seems inevitable and that our primary concern should be proper regulation.

12. Apr 22, 2009 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only US citizens are entitled to Constitutional protections. But we are entitled to them. I don't need to ask for permission.

Also, the issue is not whether the Government can spy on citizens who may be a threat to society. The issue is the regulation. That was the violation. The government must show cause, and also it must obtain a warrant. Bush decided to just do his own thing and ask for permission later.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  13. Apr 22, 2009 #12
    If we were just paranoid enough, we wouldn't have to worry about reality.

14. Apr 22, 2009 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There have been several law suits alleging that the US (and the UK on behalf of the US) used signals intelligence to spy on European aerospace companies, either to steal IP or to get info about contracts/tenders.
    IIRC the suit against the UK won (the spying base was on UK territory) but there wasn't much the EU could do against the US.

There was an embarrassing case when the former UK Prime Minister Thatcher publicly thanked MI5 for their help breaking in to the hotel of the EU agriculture minister and stealing the details of a deal before the meeting.

The French were(are) so notorious for stealing stuff, that at the Paris airshow US companies put notes (and chocolates) inside dummies of secret gear.

15. Apr 22, 2009 #14
    yeah, but not putting all your data on a public network ain't rocket science. i mean, seriously, most of these places probably force their guys to work in windowless rooms for fear of spies looking in, yet give them all a big freaking port for internet access.

i'd also be suspecting the russians here.

16. Apr 22, 2009 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

17. Apr 22, 2009 #16
    That doesn't look like a clever idea unless US is selling inefficient technologies such that China end up wasting its time making things that don't work. I don't see any other advantage than persuading them to waste their time/resources.

Or, maybe these are decoys. Clever indeed.

18. Apr 22, 2009 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We once sold some printers to Iraq that we knew [or anticipated] would be used at strategic defense locations. Some years later, when Saddam invaded Kuwait and we attacked - Gulf war I - we enabled the secret beacons that we had installed in the printers. These beacons were then used as target signals for our missile attacks.

19. Apr 22, 2009 #18
    lol, really?

fwiw, several networks out there could be compromised by chinese knockoffs of cisco routers.

20. Apr 22, 2009 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This information was ultimately released by the Defense Department - bragging rights at work I think. I made a real point of remembering that one!

No doubt. There are some great gotcha stories from the cold-war era. I remember one where, IIRC, the Russians had a photocopier rigged to record every copy made at a defense or intell department. They had managed to plant a KGB agent as a photocopier repair tech. I once started a thread about this sort of thing.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=56663

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  21. Apr 22, 2009 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of my favorites was the microphone dropped down the vent pipe for a toilet. It turns out that even relatively low amplitude sounds in the building, like voices in an adjacent room, transmits very well by entering the bowl, passing through the water, and finally exiting up the vent.

Just another reason to close the lid, guys - spies! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook