Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

China more popular than U.S. overseas

1. Jun 25, 2005 #1
    China more popular than U.S. overseas
    New poll finds Iraq war a key factor in tattered image of U.S.

The Associated Press
    Updated: 4:49 p.m. ET June 23, 2005
    WASHINGTON - The United States’ image is so tattered overseas two years after the Iraq invasion that China, which is ruled by a communist dictatorship, is viewed more favorably than the U.S. in many countries, an international poll found.

The poor image persists even though the Bush administration has been promoting freedom and democracy throughout the world in recent months and has sent hundreds of millions of dollars in relief aid to Indian Ocean nations hit by the devastating Dec. 26 tsunami.

“It’s amazing when you see the European public rating the United States so poorly, especially in comparison with China,” said Andrew Kohut, director of the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press.

Eleven of the 16 countries surveyed by the Pew Research Center — Britain, France, Germany, Spain, the Netherlands, Russia, Turkey, Pakistan, Lebanon, Jordan and Indonesia — had a more favorable view of China than the United States.

India and Poland were more upbeat about the United States, while Canadians are as likely to see China favorably as they were the United States.

etc

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8324290/

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2005 #2
    Yeah I believe it. Logically thinking, USA probably isn't at the top of the world's favorite countries list.

4. Jun 25, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gee, that was really hard to see coming. :rolleyes:

5. Jun 25, 2005 #4
    Well dont worry, when china starts being the "superpower", and starts bossing people around, people will start hating them more than you guys.

6. Jun 25, 2005 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

You know all of us like people who're doing their own business and don't interfere to other's job!(of course it's not always good to be so selfish!)

7. Jun 25, 2005 #6
    Sure, with political intolerance, imprisonment, torture, state-mandated abortions, people enslaved to cheap labor, 1 billion people in poverty and forced to live under a system that they hate...what isn't to like about the Great Dragon? I can clearly see why they would be favored over the USA.

Excuse me. <starts strangling self>

8. Jun 25, 2005 #7

SOS2008

Gold Member

The difference is China is not doing these things to other nations--and to clarify, families can have as many children as they want, but will lose government subsidies if they do--abortion is not mandated. Overpopulation is a serious problem, especially in China. Would you prefer to have masses of people starving? How humane!

In the meantime, Bush/Republicans would like to remove women's right to choose, not only in regard to abortion but even birth control. Bush/Republicans are contributing to cheap labor at home by blocking a raise in minimum wage, promoting illegal labor in the U.S., as well as cheap labor around the world with trade agreements such as NAFTA/CAFTA.

9. Jun 25, 2005 #8
    i don't necessarily disagree with you on the current Republican agenda, but you must admit that the US at least tries to represent decency, charity, and order.

i guess on the surface your defense of china sounds good, but i just cant get that picture out of my head where the protestors are run over by tanks in Tianamen square...these are the same people that probably cook chinese food for you, and would die to have the freedoms that we have. If china is not a symbol of oppression, I don't know what is...you can't even begin to compare them with the US.

Since the chinese don't publish their prison statistics - it's "classified" - we can only assume that it is very very high. Interviews with political dissidents from china speak about masses of people exterminated. Does it matter whether this is really foreign or domestic?

On the one hand, you have one country (the US) that in a state of war abroad. On the other, you have a large oppressive government that commits atrocities against it's own people (China). Which is worse, in your eyes?

10. Jun 25, 2005 #9
    I think the US is really trying to represent any of those things. Just because it's not as bad doesn't make it good.
    This seems to me to be quite a large problem in the US. If you ask someone what they thing the most oppressive regime in the world are they're more likely to name one of the US's political rivals which, while a lot of them are bad, arn't anywhere near the worst or most oppressive regimes out there. For example, Burma is worse than Iraq or China ever have been. A lot of people have never even heard of this place, because it's not challenging the US for anything, so it doesn't get in the news as being a 'bad guy'.
    Oh... but of course! what other choice do we have :rolleyes:
    Dissidents from anywhere will always exagerate the case and talk about worst case scenarios. How many times have you heard similar things from the USA? Some of it's true of course, just like with the US, but don't take it all for granted.
    I think the USA is worse right now, overall I just think they're contributing more to poor human rights and poverty, starvation, ect than China is.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  11. Jun 25, 2005 #10
    so what is the alternative? that they are keeping the prison stats secret because they are so low?? yeah, right.

just because they are isolationist does not make them decent. how much money did china give for the tsunami disaster?

12. Jun 25, 2005 #11
    their unemployment rate is so low because there are so many people in the prison system. the prison system takes that many able-bodied males out of the labour market.

13. Jun 25, 2005 #12
    Now thats is just ridiculous.

14. Jun 25, 2005 #13
    Germany is still, and rightly, marked as responsible for the Holocaust. China, however, has avoided being effectively confronted about the 30,000,000 more recently starved to death under Mao. How do people justify this annihilation, or the undertakings by the vast majority of countries, against the actions of a bumbling, petty U. S. president?

Please tell us how your country is less culpable than the United States.

15. Jun 25, 2005 #14

cronxeh

Gold Member

not before they overflow the population stepping on each other's heads and crushing all the upcoming generations

the only threat to date i can think of is the staggering amount of engineers that China produces.. only hope for US is that they are learning english and immigrating to US

16. Jun 26, 2005 #15
    as with so many other things, truth is stranger than fiction:
    http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/politics/seminars/western.pdf

edit: waitasec i thought the earlier discussion was about the US

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  17. Jun 26, 2005 #16
    fourier, u mean thats official policy by the government????And let me guess, those incacerated are mostly blacks and latinos???

18. Jun 26, 2005 #17
    yeah well, at least you can get those kinds of statistics on the US. If one day we suddenly "classified" prison statistics like china does, you can bet your bottom dollar that the UN will start labelling us an oppressor state.

19. Jun 26, 2005 #18

Art

Oh, they're not so hard to find if you actually look :wink: ;

http://www.aic.gov.au/stats/apcca/2000/

Guess you'll need to find something else to denigrate the Chinese about now. I suggest though before posting you check first before asserting unfounded opinion as facts. As per discussion on previous thread. :grumpy:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  20. Jun 26, 2005 #19
    information that they "voluntarily" submit is usually crap (i say voluntarily because they have had to cave in the last few years and address this concern), and getting an objective estimate is difficult to do. reputable sources have a very hard time trying to estimate the true crime statistics of china. it is also frequently incomplete; notice, for example, the unconvicted remandee rate is not listed for china.

i strongly suspect that there is no such thing as "unconvicted", it just means that you weren't run over with a tank. what percentage are "political prisoners" versus legitimate crimes?

21. Jun 26, 2005 #20

Art

Please read this piece again carefully

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?