China's Elephant Man: Risky Surgery Airing Sun Jun 7 9P

• Medical
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a National Geographic show called "China's Elephant Man" features a man named Huang Chuncai who suffers from a 50 Lb tumor on his face. This has caused severe health issues for him, but he is now undergoing a risky surgery to remove it. The show will air on June 7th and a video preview is available. Many are surprised that Huang has survived this long and hope for a successful surgery.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When I first saw this upcoming National Geographic show advertised, I caught a glimpse of this poor man and actually thought it was a joke... I was waiting for a punch line. It took a moment to realize that what I was seeing was real! He has a 50 Lb tumor on his face.

NEXT PRIMETIME AIRING
SUN JUN 7 9P

Known as "China's Elephant Man," Huang Chuncai suffers from exceptionally large tumors that have stunted his growth, left his bones undeveloped, caused his spine to buckle and restricted his breathing. Now, Huang undergoes a risky surgery.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/china-s-elephant-man-4210/Overview

Here is a video preview
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/china-s-elephant-man-4210/Overview#tab-Videos/06728_00

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Just a reminder for anyone interested. This will air tomorrow.

It is surprising that he has made it this far. I hope his surgery goes very well for him.

What is "China's Elephant Man: Risky Surgery Airing Sun Jun 7 9P"?

"China's Elephant Man: Risky Surgery Airing Sun Jun 7 9P" is a documentary that follows the story of a Chinese man named Huang Chuncai who suffers from a rare condition known as neurofibromatosis, which has caused large tumors to grow on his face and body. The documentary chronicles Huang's journey as he undergoes a risky surgery to remove the tumors and improve his quality of life.

What is neurofibromatosis?

Neurofibromatosis is a genetic disorder that causes tumors to grow on nerve tissue throughout the body. It can also cause other complications such as bone deformities and learning disabilities. There are three types of neurofibromatosis, with type 1 being the most common and the type that Huang Chuncai has.

How common is neurofibromatosis in China?

Neurofibromatosis affects approximately 1 in 3,000 people worldwide, but its prevalence in China is higher than the global average. It is estimated that 1 in 5,000 people in China have neurofibromatosis.

What is the purpose of the risky surgery?

The risky surgery is aimed at removing the large tumors on Huang Chuncai's face and body. These tumors not only cause physical discomfort and difficulty with daily activities, but they also carry a risk of becoming cancerous. The surgery is meant to improve Huang's quality of life and potentially extend his lifespan.

What are the potential risks of the surgery?

The surgery is considered risky due to the size and location of the tumors, as well as the potential for complications during and after the surgery. There is also a risk of the tumors growing back even after they have been removed. However, the risks are outweighed by the potential benefits for Huang's health and well-being.

Back