Chinese bridge jumper gets push from passer-by.

• Thread starter phyzmatix
  • Start date
A man threatening to commit suicide by jumping from a Chinese bridge was approached by a passer-by who shoved him over the edge, local media say.

Lai Jiansheng, 66, said he was fed up with the desperate man's "selfish activity" which caused huge traffic jams in Guangzhou, southern China...

..."I pushed him off because jumpers like Chen are very selfish," the newspaper quoted Mr Lai as saying.

"Their action violates a lot of public interests. They do not really dare to kill themselves. Instead, they just want to raise the relevant government authorities' attention to their appeals."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8064867.stm

If you were a Chinese official in a position of authority, what would you have done regarding Mr Lai's actions? How would you have treated the situation?

Basically, would you have had him arrested and charged or would you secretly (or perhaps even openly) support his actions and allow him to go free after having done commuters a massive favour?

Answers and Replies

I would have charged the man with murder personally. From other similar news reports I have read though the Chinese authorities are not very polite when it comes to the suicidal. I remember reading a story a long time ago about a man who climbed up a telephone pole (or some such thing) and threatened to jump but would neither jump nor come down. So the officers shot him down.

I would have charged the man with murder personally. From other similar news reports I have read though the Chinese authorities are not very polite when it comes to the suicidal. I remember reading a story a long time ago about a man who climbed up a telephone pole (or some such thing) and threatened to jump but would neither jump nor come down. So the officers shot him down.
On hindsight, perhaps I should have included an important little detail:

Chen Fuchao fell 26ft (8m) on to an air cushion and is recovering in hospital, the official Xinhua news agency said...

...Mr Chen is said to have suffered spine and elbow injuries and is recovering in a Guangzhou hospital.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
What if this happened in a state with an assisted suicide law?

On hindsight, perhaps I should have included an important little detail:
LOL! Well I say, I guess that makes quite the difference.
And maybe I should have clicked the link.

In that case it could be considered assault but I would probably not make such charges myself.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8064867.stm

If you were a Chinese official in a position of authority, what would you have done regarding Mr Lai's actions? How would you have treated the situation?

Basically, would you have had him arrested and charged or would you secretly (or perhaps even openly) support his actions and allow him to go free after having done commuters a massive favour?
I loved Lai's actions :biggrin:
But being a authority in these times, you have to see what people think otherwise you wouldn't be able to maintain your authority for long time.

I really hate people who just pretend to be suicidal just for getting attention but never suicide (particularly those who try to interrupt any kind of public activities). They should either die or stop whining.

What if this happened in a state with an assisted suicide law?
HAHAHA!!! That would make for some interesting legal manoeuvring I'm sure! :biggrin:

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Not to be overlooked is that the pusher - Lai - was on his way to the hospital to pick up medication for his own mental condition apparently.

With 2 crazies on a bridge anything could have happened.

I'm thinking the jumper Chen won't be doing that again anytime too soon.

Likely neither will Lai.

This is the best story ever. Good job crazy old chinaman!

Alfi
funny twist with the assisted suicide question.

If it happened here, I would expect assault causing bodily harm charges to be filed.
Ya just can't go pushing people. Unless asked. :)