Chinese not sure where space station will land

In summary: Northern and southernmost latitudes that have to be worried about debris are 42.8° N & S.In summary, Chinese officials have lost control of the Tiangong-1 space station and are uncertain about when and where it will land. There are concerns about potential debris falling in latitudes near 42.8° N & S. The station is currently predicted to reenter the Earth's atmosphere around April 1st, 2018, with some uncertainty in the exact date and time. China's advanced supercomputer may aid in tracking the station's descent, but concerns have been raised about their ability to control and clean up space debris from previous missions.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
It strikes me that wilfully ignoring the possibility of such a disaster in the initial planning of the space station should be treated as a criminal act. The must have been a time in the station's life when it could have been brought down Smith precision and somewhere safe. This is a potential International Incident; it is not a potential act of god.
But some nations have less regard than others for human life.
I think the state responsible for sending something into space is also responsible for damage caused when it comes down.
I don't know if there is a special treaty to that, and/or if everyone needs to sign on.
Nevertheless, a court of arbitration of international law probably comes into effect in these instances determining owner of satellite, damage, cleanup, and compensation for the infringed upon nations or entities.

Likes sophiecentaur
256bits said:
I don't know if there is a special treaty to that, and/or if everyone needs to sign on.
Apparently there is:

What to do if this Chinese space station crashes into your house this weekend
Mar 30, 2018 5:44 PM EDT
Step 1: Don’t touch anything
Step 2: Call a diplomat
...That means if Tiangong-1 did strike your property, your sole means of recourse would be the Space Liability Convention, an international treaty ratified in 1972 by the United Nations.​
Step 3: Realize that space is a quasi-lawless frontier
...No one was harmed in 1979 when NASA’s 80-ton Skylab made a semi-controlled descent that scattered wreckage across a rural part of northern Australia. Still, the Aussies used the opportunity to play a prank, issuing a $400 ticket for littering to the American space agency.​

Likes Spinnor and sophiecentaur
Also, if you are lucky enough to:

a. not be killed by the falling debris
and​
b. find some debris​

According to international law, it will not belong to you:

Agreement on the Rescue of Astronauts, the Return of Astronauts and the Return of Objects Launched into Outer Space
"...States shall, upon request, provide assistance to launching States in recovering space objects that return to Earth outside the territory of the Launching State."

Though, I didn't see anything about a "finders fee", which might explain:

Likes sophiecentaur
This looks neat,

TiangongStoryboard.png

From, http://www.aerospace.org/cords/reentry-predictions/tiangong-1-reentry/

Looks like it is predicted to skip a bit?

What a good reentry light show looks like,

Could use image stabilization.

Attachments

• TiangongStoryboard.png
    TiangongStoryboard.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 428
Likes sophiecentaur, OmCheeto and russ_watters
Spinnor said:
Looks like it is predicted to skip a bit?
If you are referring to the dip then rise in altitude, that's actually because it's in a slightly elliptical orbit.

Here's a snapshot I took a couple of days ago:

tiangong.altitude.2018.03.30.0019.pdt.png

2018.03.30 0019 PDT

Attachments

• tiangong.altitude.2018.03.30.0019.pdt.png
    tiangong.altitude.2018.03.30.0019.pdt.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 419
Likes Spinnor
The station passed Japan, so far without re-entry reports. Now it will fly over the Pacific, reaching the predicted central reentry point of aerospace.org shortly before Chile. If it is still around afterwards, it might enter over South America, the South Atlantic, Africa, Asia, or again the Pacific.

It should have passed the Altair tracking station right at the time of my post, so we should have a new estimate soon.

Edit: Not clear if Altair found it - due to drag the orbit is now hard to predict. Now passing over South America, if it is still in space.

Edit2: Unclear if it has been seen over South America (cloudy?), might reenter over the Atlantic.
A lot of rubbish on Twitter.

Last edited:
On Twitter there are a few reports that it might have crashed close to Chile, some of them could be real. We'll know more in a few hours.

Several sites report that it crashed in the South Pacific west of Chile.

mfb said:
Here is a reliable source.
That's it. Very close to the usual place for planned deorbits.
On Satview that was their projected reentry location and it was an April 1 notice. The post from Spinnor #40 has a closer location to the last projection that Satview said was from USstratCom when I made my previous post here. They said USstratCom projected April 2 00:15 UTC and they now have a USstratCom message stating that Tingong 1 had reentered the atmosphere on April 2 at 00:16 UTC +/- 1 minute, on the link below.

http://www.satview.org/?sat_id=37820U

Also it looks like the Chinese engineered Tiangong 1 to glide in if they lost control, from the German radar pics (link below) on March 1, Congratulations guys.

https://www.space.com/40089-china-space-station-tiangong-1-radar-images.html