Where did the six come from in the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a value for X that is congruent to 4 mod 11 and 3 mod 13. The solution involves using modular division to find values for x(1) and x(2), and then setting up an equation to find the smallest positive value for X. The final result is X = 81.
chaotixmonjuish
I need help making sense of my notes:

x congruent 4 mod 11
x congruent 3 mod 13

ai mi Mi yi aiMiyi
4 11 13 6 4*13*6
3 13 11 6 3*11*6

I'm not sure where the six came from

Physics news on Phys.org
no clue
usually one solves
13a=4 (mod 11) (a=0,1,...10)
11b=3 (mod 13) (b=0,1,...12)
ie a and be are found by modular division
so that
n*gcd(11,13)+(gcd(11,13)-13a-11b)
with n=1,2,3,...
solves the original problem

Chaotixmonjuist:
ai mi Mi yi aiMiyi
4 11 13 6 4*13*6
3 13 11 6 3*11*6 I'm not sure where the six came from

Some number repeats are going on there. But we have 1/11==6 Mod 13, and 1/13==6 Mod 11.

I was hoping someone would go a little further with this problem. It may not be clear what is being discussed. (Apparently the teacher must have been writing on the blackboard.)

What I take is being said above is X==4 Mod 11 and X==3 Mod 13. Find X congruent to 11x13= 143.

Setting up the first part of the problem, we want to find 4/13 ==X(1) Mod 11, and 3/11==X(2) Mod 13.

The first case gives x(1)==24==2 Mod 11, and the second gives X(2) ==18==5 Mod 13. So we get x(1)=2, X(2)=5.

We then set up the equation X =13*x(1) + 11*x(2) +k143. (k is chosen so as to give us the smallest positive value.)

Now if we checked this product Mod 11 the last part on x(2) would go out. On the other hand on the first part, 13*x(1), we have included the inverse of 13 mod 11 in our calcuations, so we are only going to get the value of X ==4 Mod 11. Similarly for the other part of the equation.

So that working out the equation: X=13*2 + 11*5 = 81. This value satisfies the conditions.

Last edited:

What is the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if you have a set of congruences with relatively prime moduli, then there exists a unique solution to the system of congruences. This solution is known as the "Chinese Remainder Theorem solution".

How is the Chinese Remainder Theorem used in cryptography?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem is used in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt messages. It allows for the efficient computation of large numbers in modular arithmetic and is used in many modern encryption algorithms, such as the RSA algorithm.

Can the Chinese Remainder Theorem be applied to non-prime moduli?

Yes, the Chinese Remainder Theorem can be applied to non-prime moduli as long as the moduli are relatively prime. However, using prime moduli is preferred as it leads to a more efficient computation of the solution.

What is the difference between the Chinese Remainder Theorem and the Euclidean algorithm?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem and the Euclidean algorithm are both methods for solving systems of congruences, but they differ in their approach. The Euclidean algorithm uses division and subtraction to find the greatest common divisor, while the Chinese Remainder Theorem uses the properties of congruences to find a solution.

What are some real-life applications of the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem has various applications in computer science, cryptography, and number theory. It is used in encryption algorithms, error-correcting codes, and in solving linear congruences in number theory. It also has applications in solving system of linear equations in engineering and physics.