1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chinook winds

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    Hi everybody, this is my first post on your forum and i hope someone can help me :)

the problem is i can figure out how to approuch this problem :s i do know that the process of the air descending is adiabatic but still i cant get it :(

thanks for your help guys in advance.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose a strong wind is blowing toward Denver (elevation 1630 m) from Grays Peak (80 km) west of Denver, at an elevation of 4350 m), where the air pressure is 5.65×104 Pa and the air temperature is -16.0°C . The temperature and pressure in Denver before the wind arrives are 2.0 °C and 8.12×10^4 Pa. By how many Celsius degrees will the temperature in Denver rise when the chinook arrives?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Yes, the descent of the air is adiabatic. There's an equation that describes what happens in an adiabatic process; it's PV^gamma=constant. Do you know how to transform this into a pressure-temperature relationship?

4. Oct 16, 2009 #3
    Hi ! thanks for your reply, as PV^gamma=constant i think we can say that p_1*v_1^gamma=p_2*v_2^gamma, but how to involve pressure in it ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook