Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chip EMI filter replacement

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    I have some chip emi filter capacitor type. Its parameters are size 0603 , 1000pF , tollerance +/-20%. I would like to replace it by filter of another vendor, with the difference of tollerance -20/+50%.
    As I'm understanding from attenuation characteristics chart, the replacement maybe even better, cause for +50% tollerance I will have a chance to get higher capacitance value and higher insertion loss.

Is it correct?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post a link to the datasheets? It takes more than a capacitor to make a filter -- what is the topology of the filter? A "T" or a "Pi" maybe? What is this tolerance on? Just the capacitor, or something else about the filter?

4. Nov 26, 2007 #3
  5. Nov 26, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hmmm. So these are 3-terminal feed-through capacitors, with low/negligible series inductance. So to answer your original question, yes, the 2nd part should do as well or better than the muRata Erie part.

The filter characteristic will depend on what other components you place in series with the feed-through capacitor.

6. Nov 26, 2007 #5
    Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?