1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chips and dip

1. Jul 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a chip is dipped into dip and bottoms out in a circle with radius r. A flavor crystal on the chip is put under twice the normal gravity. If r = .5m, how fast is the chip traveling at the bottom of the dip. Neglect the mass of the chip.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My answer is taking 9.8 *2 which is 19.6 m/s. Is this correct? It seems to easy. But dont we need to take into account the mass of the chip?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s2, not m/s and is not a velocity. In any case, "is put under twice the normal gravity" refers to a force not acceleration.

I frankly don't understand the problem- unless it is a very awkward way of asking what velocity something will have after starting from 0 velocity and moving 0.5 m at acceleration 19.6 m/s2. If that is the case, you need equations for velocity and distance with constant acceleration. How long will it take to go .5 m with constant 19.6 m/s2 acceleration? How will the velocity have changed in that time?

(Chip and dip? And the bowl of dip has a 50 cm radius? How big is the bottle of beer?)
  4. Jul 30, 2008 #3
    I didnt understand the problem myself. I asked the guy who made the problem up (another student) and he explained what he was asking. now i understand. He meant to say basically it is a fluid motion from bag down through dip and up to mouth. the dipping motion has the .5m radius. He was saying Fc=mv^2/r ==> Fc=mg ==> netforce = 2mg-mg=mg. Only thing i dont understand now is what is the mass? Do i make something up? Another thing is that just tells me the centriputal force on the chip it doesnt really tell me how fast it is going.

Not just how big the beer is but what kind? also, i just figured out on this post how to get the ^ in. Dont think i have ever seen that on the keyboard. I know its 9.8m/s^2 i just didnt see that neat little symbol above the 6. haha
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?