Chips - baked or fried?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date

Which chip is better, baked or fried?

• Total voters
Evo
Mentor
I feel that this is a debate that is important enough to warrant it's own thread.

Chips, potato chips, tortilla chips, etc... Which tastes better, baked or fried?

Now this is ONLY taste, not healthier, not lower fat. Taste.

The poll is multiple choice incase you're British.

Also, post which brands and flavors you prefer.

Cheetos, definitely fried.

Answers and Replies

I prefer baked. I generally dislike fried foods.

Evo
Mentor
I prefer baked. I generally dislike fried foods.
Wrong answer, you are disqualified.

Wrong answer, you are disqualified.
I didn't know I qualified to begin with, but now since I'm disqualified I suppose I don't have to worry about the implications of previously being qualified, huh?

Evo
Mentor
I didn't know I qualified to begin with, but now since I'm disqualified I suppose I don't have to worry about the implications of previously being qualified, huh?
Of course you have to care. Maybe you can be healed.

I'd like to vote, but I'm scared...

Of course you have to care. Maybe you can be healed.
Oh my, so my apathy is indicative of some sort of disorder. This seems to be much more serious than I had originally envisioned when I entered this thread.

Go for it! Food preference psychoanalysis will be all the rage, and you'll be one of the first to benefit.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Both. It depends on what you're eating them with. I never eat JUST chips.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I don't know - therefore I'm safe. Evo will decide for me. :biggrin:

Actually, I think it depends on the brand. Some are better baked, and some are better fried.

Evo
Mentor
Fried is always a safe vote. I'm glad to see you are aware of the seriousness of this issue.

I'll go at it cautiously...

I like nachos with salsa and lots of meat, veggies and cheese. Is all that baked or fried? Is this a category? Is that considered "chip"?

But I also like banana chips... (and apple chips too!)

(...slightly stressed...)

Evo
Mentor
I'll go at it cautiously...

I like nachos with salsa and lots of meat, veggies and cheese. Is all that baked or fried? Is this a category? Is that considered "chip"?
Yes, those would most likely be fried, excellent choice!!

But I also like banana chips... (and apple chips too!)
These are normally dried, and I love them too! I hadn't thought about them.

(...slightly stressed...)
You're not only safe now, you have earned a GOOBF card (Get Out Of Banning Free), these are used just like a Monopoly "Get out of jail free" card.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Potato chips - I'm not a big fan of them, but if I have to eat them: fried.

Tortilla chips - are you kidding? Fried! And I wouldn't allow a baked Frito cross my lips (do they even make them?)! Fried!

But what about rice, like rice cake chips? Yes I actually *really* like them! I have no idea how they're made. Probably not fried, probably not baked either. Puffed!

Bugger, when I voted I thought it was regarding fries or as the Brits call them chips.

Chips (British: Crisps) I like fried.

Ah my head hurts, I shouldn't have to translate English to English!

Evo
Mentor
Bugger, when I voted I thought it was regarding fries or as the Brits call them chips.

This is why I had to put in the British option. You people don't know food, you call chips crisps, you call cookies biscuits. You people don't even have real biscuits!

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Lol...there's an "I'm British" option for a reason....:wink:

Edit: Evo beat me to the punch!

I don't know what the trend is today, last time I ate any chips was two years ago, but I loved the BBQ, or Cheddar cheese chips.

Evo
Mentor
Anyone love those super, super crispy "kettle" fries? you know the ones that if you bite down wrong will cut through your gums? I'm eating some now and I have to bite down very carefully. They're from Panera Bread and they are like very thinly sliced rocks.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anyone love those super, super crispy "kettle" fries? you know the ones that if you bite down wrong will cut through your gums? I'm eating some now and I have to bite down very carefully. They're from Panera Bread and they are like very thinly sliced rocks.
It's like eating fried razor blades :surprised:!

This is why I had to put in the British option. You people don't know food, you call chips crisps, you call cookies biscuits. You people don't even have real biscuits!
Lol...there's an "I'm British" option for a reason....:wink:

Edit: Evo beat me to the punch!
Nooooo, it's 4am here and I've just spat my cookie (yes, that is the British cookie) all over my keyboard. Damn you lot, I need sleep!

these were good: http://www.zapps.com/cgi-bin/zapps/index.html [Broken]

for tortilla chips, the best are of course the genuine mexican restaurant fried-in-lard variety. if the person giving them to you speaks english as a first language, you are probably in the wrong place. these you fill up on with salsa before the chimichangas arrive and you end up having to unbutton your pants before finishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Fried - no contest.

However, it is possible to make good nachos by baking the tortillas.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
these were good: http://www.zapps.com/cgi-bin/zapps/index.html [Broken]

for tortilla chips, the best are of course the genuine mexican restaurant fried-in-lard variety. if the person giving them to you speaks english as a first language, you are probably in the wrong place. these you fill up on with salsa before the chimichangas arrive and you end up having to unbutton your pants before finishing.
We have a cousin visiting from San Diego. Tsu made the mistake of taking him out for our finest local [Oregon] Mexican cuisine. Needless to say, he wasn't impressed! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
fried ... yum!!!! :tongue2:

Depends a lot on the make/style of the chip and the type of grease used for frying.