1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chiral symmetry in QCD

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm doing a dissertation on heavy ion collisions and one of the things they look for in the collisions is chiral symmetry resolution - what is it?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that it is a type of symmetry that is usually broken but QCD predicts that it shouldn't break at high energies (like in a heavy ion collision) just not sure what sort of symmetry it is - Is it that you can't tell the difference between our universe and a mirror image of our universe or something?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it's a symmetry due to the fact that arises when the masses of the quarks can be set to zero (for example when the energies involved are very large). Depending on the situation, this can be done for the masses of up and dow or up,down and strange etc.

I would suggest that you ask the question in the high energy/particle physics forum to get more feedback.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?