Is the Chirality Projection Operator Misused in This Scenario?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of chiral projection operators and the resulting spinor components. It is noted that the spinors and matrices must be in the same basis for accurate results, and that the matrix ##P_L## should have only one nonzero component in the "upper left" corner in the Weyl basis.
Aleolomorfo
Hello everybody!
I have a doubt in using the chiral projection operators. In principle, it should be ##P_L \psi = \psi_L##.
$$ P_L = \frac{1-\gamma^5}{2} = \frac{1}{2} \begin{pmatrix} \mathbb{I} & -\mathbb{I} \\ -\mathbb{I} & \mathbb{I} \end{pmatrix} $$
If I consider ##\psi = \begin{pmatrix} \phi \\ \chi \end{pmatrix}##, with ##\phi## and ##\chi## Weyl spinors.
$$ P_L \psi = \frac{1}{2} \begin{pmatrix} \mathbb{I} & -\mathbb{I} \\ -\mathbb{I} & \mathbb{I} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} \phi \\ \chi \end{pmatrix} = \frac{1}{2} \begin{pmatrix} \phi-\chi \\ \chi - \phi \end{pmatrix}$$
I get a spinor which still has the RH and the LH component. Shouldn't I get something with only the LH component and the RH's equal to zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aleolomorfo said:
In principle, it should be ##P_L \psi = \psi_L##.

Yes, but you have to be careful to use the same basis for the spinors and the matrices.

Aleolomorfo said:
$$
P_L = \frac{1-\gamma^5}{2} = \frac{1}{2} \begin{pmatrix} \mathbb{I} & -\mathbb{I} \\ -\mathbb{I} & \mathbb{I} \end{pmatrix}
$$

This is written in the Dirac basis, not the Weyl basis, so the spinors in this basis do not have the ##L## part in the upper component and the ##R## part in the lower component. (It's a good exercise to figure out what pure left-handed and pure right-handed spinors do look like in this basis.)

In the Weyl basis, ##\gamma^5## is diagonal, so ##P_L## should be a matrix with only one nonzero component, in the "upper left" corner with the left-right convention you are using.

What is a chirality projection operator?

A chirality projection operator is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe the chirality or handedness of a particle. It is a Hermitian operator that projects the spin state of a particle onto its chiral states.

How is the chirality projection operator used in physics?

The chirality projection operator is used to study the properties of elementary particles, such as quarks and leptons, and to describe their behavior in various physical processes. It is also used in the study of symmetry breaking and in the construction of quantum field theories.

What is the difference between chirality and helicity?

Chirality and helicity are related but distinct concepts in physics. Chirality refers to the handedness of a particle, while helicity refers to the direction of its spin relative to its motion. The chirality projection operator is used to describe the chirality of a particle, while the helicity operator is used to describe its helicity.

Can the chirality projection operator be applied to all particles?

No, the chirality projection operator is only applicable to particles with spin. This includes fermions, such as electrons and quarks, but not bosons, such as photons. Additionally, the chirality projection operator is only applicable to particles that exhibit chirality, meaning they have distinct left- and right-handed states.

What are some practical applications of the chirality projection operator?

The chirality projection operator has many applications in physics, including in the study of particle physics, quantum field theory, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in the development of new materials and technologies, such as spintronics, which utilizes the spin of electrons to store and process information.