Help Tess Neutralize Chemical Reaction Fumes in Her Home

In summary, Tess was using a mould spray and a household cleaner on upvc windows and plaster in her home. She went away for a few days and when she came back, she had trouble breathing and a burning sensation on her skin. She thinks she may have caused chloramine gas. She contacted the manufacturers of the mould spray and they said there was no remedy to neutralize the reaction. Tess is trying to find a way to resolve the problem.
Tess
Hi, I wonder if you guys could help me.

During the summer I used a mould spray on upvc windows which contained anionic surfactants with chlorine bleaching agents. I rinsed this off but it left a white film on the glass and so I used a household cleaner called Flash which has < 5 % Non-ionic surfactants, soap,Glutaral, Benzisothiazlinone, Perfume and Limonine.

I also used the mould spray on plaster around the window frame and on the silicone mastic around the window frame.

I rinsed this off with plain water and when it was dry I applied a PVA (acetate) sealer to the plaster around the window and along the mastic.

A couple of weeks ago I went away for a few days and upon my return there was a very strong chemical smell in the rooms where I had used these products. It was so bad that the next day I rinsed all the windows again twice with plain water and then once with a bit of flash diluted in half a bucket of water and then rinsed everything again with plain water.

I was affected by this as I had trouble breathing and had a burning sensation on my skin. I think I may have caused Chloramine gas as a result of the reaction of chemicals and would be grateful if you would be able to tell me what I can used to neutralize this as I have had to move out of my property as the fumes are affecting my health.

I have been in touch with the manufacturers of the mould spray but they say there is no remedy to neutralize this reaction between these chemicals. I would be very grateful if you could help me to resolve this problem.

Thank you.

Tess.

Biology news on Phys.org
Sorry, but we do not make recommendations when it concerns a person's health as we have no way of knowing what is happening. I recommend you see a doctor for your health problems, and contact your local environmental agency or poison control center for advice.

Hope you get things resolved.

I am afraid I don't have much to add.

I am not sure where the smell comes from. Whatever you put on the glass and PVC didn't stay there for long. The way I see it the only thing that can be possibly a source of the smell is the plaster and whatever it was soaked with.

Good ventilation and patience are only things that come to mind (other than mechanically removing the plaster and replacing it with a new one).

1. What types of chemicals can cause fumes in homes?

Common household chemicals such as bleach, ammonia, and paint thinner can emit strong fumes that can be harmful to breathe in.

2. How can fumes from chemical reactions be harmful?

Fumes from chemical reactions can be harmful because they can irritate the respiratory system, cause headaches, dizziness, and even lead to more serious health issues with prolonged exposure.

3. What are some signs that there are chemical fumes in a home?

Some signs that there are chemical fumes in a home include a strong chemical odor, difficulty breathing, eye irritation, and throat irritation.

4. What steps can be taken to neutralize chemical fumes in a home?

The first step is to identify the source of the fumes and remove it from the home. Then, open windows and doors to increase ventilation. Using fans can also help to circulate the air. Activated charcoal or baking soda can also be used to absorb the fumes. If the fumes are from a chemical spill, it is important to follow proper cleanup procedures.

5. How can I prevent chemical fumes in my home?

To prevent chemical fumes in your home, make sure to properly store and dispose of household chemicals. Use these chemicals in well-ventilated areas and follow the recommended safety precautions. It is also important to regularly check for leaks or spills and address them immediately to prevent fumes from building up in your home.