Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chloroform and metals

1. Feb 8, 2005 #1
    Chloroform is said to react violently with both metals (Al, Na, Li, Mg, K, Fe, Zn) and e.g. sodium methoxide (CH3ONa). Does anyone know more about this? What happens?
    Formation of e.g. CCl3Na with release of H2? Or CHCl2Na+NaCl?
    And how about reaction with alkoxides?

Does chloroform react with many of the alkoxides or mainly with alkali metal methoxides? Otherwise, it doesn't seem as a smart choice for NMR solvent if one wants to do NMR on alkoxides...

Thank you for your answers.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2005 #2
    Help me!!

:grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

Aaaaargh!!!!! The :devil: :devil: :devil: at the library have removed the Gmelin Handbook of Inorganic Chemistry from the basement. I just faced lots of empty shelves. :confused: Ok they got rid of CAS, because that can be accessed with SciFinder, but Gmelin...?? :cry:
    When I asked someone just before closing time where it is now she almost couldn't answer my question, it was just some "Oh, I guess it is at some depository now". It wouldn't surprise me if they threw away everything. They could as well have, I mean if one cannot access the books just for browsing.... Gmelin is not something from which you order page xx to page yy. Those who made this decision (as so often with decision-makers) apparently have no clue about the things they decide about (and the consequences the decisions get...)

Now I really need an answer from you guys (chem_tr???) as to what happens when chloroform reacts with metals or metal alkoxides and why, since I'm not even able to consult Gmelin.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?