Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Choas and conservation

1. May 6, 2016 #1
    I was reading a Steven Strogatz book and he said that the self similarity of fractals is a symmetry. Has any conservation law been linked to this type of symmetry using Noether's Theorem?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2016 #2
    One needs to distinguish between physical symmetries and mathematical symmetries.

Noether's Thm can be stated informally as:

If a system has a continuous symmetry property, then there are corresponding quantities whose values are conserved in time.

I haven't read the Strogatz book, but two questions that come to mind are:

Is the purported symmetry in fractals a continuous symmetry?

Is the purported symmetry in fractals a physical symmetry (really a perfect symmetry in a physical realization)?

A lot of purported symmetries in physical systems are neither exact nor continuous.

4. May 6, 2016 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is at the edge of my understanding: scale invariance (self similarity) is associated with conformal symmetry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_symmetry

These are typically associated with phase transitions, but I think you can also generate a conserved energy-momentum tensor from this.

5. May 6, 2016 #4
    perfect, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted