Why Is Toffee Chewy and What Are the Mechanical Properties of Chocolate?

• Thread starter meawinner
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is an AS physics student who has chosen to do a piece of coursework and presentation on chocolate and confectionery. They are specifically interested in why toffee is chewy and sticky and the mechanical properties of chocolate and toffee. They are looking for any resources or helpful websites. Another person suggests doing a more mainstream material for their presentation and recommends sending the question to their brother who is in the confectionery business and has a degree in food technology.
meawinner
Hi I am a physics AS student who has to do a piece of coursework and give a presentation on a material. I have chosen to do chocolate and confectionery and I am wondering if any of you knew why toffee is so chewy and sticky? Also if you knew what the mechanical properties of chocolate or toffee were? If you don't know, do u know any websites that may help me with this. Thanks for all your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Choclate has some interesting properties, for example when you eat it it causes an endothermic reaction your mouth (IIRC from the breaking of the bonds in the crystals of choclate). This is property of only one kind of the choclate crystals which randomly form when molten choclate is soldified so when choclate has to be made under special conditons and if you melt it and resoldif it you will not get that cool sensation whi8ch gives choclate much of it's appeal.

Hi there
As an AS teacher, can I recommend that you do a more 'mainstream' material. Yes, chocolate can be interesting, but sadly the exam boards these days have a 'tick sheet' mentality and your presentation, no matter how well done, will be marked by a set criteria. It will be hard to fulfill these with your chosen topic..

Send your question to my brother Richard. He could probably give you an answer seeing that he is in the confectionary business, makes Toffee and also has a degree in food technology.

His e-mail is:
richard@chocolatetruffles.com

-Glenn

1. What is the difference between chocolate and confectionery?

Chocolate is a type of confectionery, but not all confectionery is chocolate. Confectionery refers to any type of sweet food, while chocolate specifically refers to products made from cocoa beans.

2. How is chocolate made?

Chocolate is made by grinding cocoa beans into a paste, which is then mixed with sugar and other ingredients, such as milk and cocoa butter. The mixture is then heated and cooled, resulting in the solid chocolate we are familiar with.

3. What are the health benefits of eating chocolate?

Chocolate contains antioxidants and can have positive effects on heart health. Dark chocolate, in particular, is also rich in minerals such as iron, copper, and magnesium. However, chocolate should be consumed in moderation as it is also high in calories and sugar.

4. Is white chocolate really chocolate?

No, white chocolate does not contain cocoa solids and therefore cannot be classified as chocolate. It is made from cocoa butter, sugar, and milk, giving it a creamy white color and sweet flavor.

5. How should chocolate be stored?

Chocolate should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It is best to keep it at room temperature, as extreme temperatures can cause it to bloom (white spots on the surface) or melt. It can also be stored in the fridge, but be sure to let it come to room temperature before consuming for the best flavor and texture.