Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chocolate overdose?

  1. Feb 14, 2006 #1


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Is it possible to overdose on chocolate like it is possible to get alcohol poisoning? Some day I want to just go into a store, buy 1 or 2 of everything on the candy isle, and pig out :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: but i don't want to die
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2006 #2
    It can kill dogs, so why not birds?
  4. Feb 14, 2006 #3


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

    You'd die of your stomach exploding before you'd die of poisoning from anything in the chocolate, unless it was laced.
  5. Feb 14, 2006 #4


    User Avatar

    n WHO WOULD DO THAT!!!! n
  6. Feb 14, 2006 #5
    Yes it is possible to OD on chocolate. Well, technically it is an OD on sugar.

    Gert Fyllking of the Swedish radio station RIX FM carried out an experiment in live radio, where he tried to see if he could get drunk from enough chocolate containing liqueur (it was a part of a section that is called "ask us" where the listeners send in questions that they want an answer for and the crew finds the answers).

    Needless to say, he didn't succeed. After having devouered around 30 of them in a short period of time, he got so sick that he couldn't continue eating them.

    After the experiment they asked an M.D. about why this occured. The M.D. answered that after a while the human body gets a sugar shock and you basically can't eat more. This was becuase the blood-sugar level in your body is so high and since it was eaten during such a short time period the insulin couldn't counter much of it that you feel sick and is therefore unable to continue eating.

    I'd say that this qualifies as a form of poisioning, since it has simillarities to alcohol poisoning.

    So yes, you can have an OD by eating chocolate, but it must contain sugar and it must be consumed over a short period of time.

    NOTE: Maybe move this to biology?
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  7. Feb 14, 2006 #6


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    I bet you could hear that guy's pancreas screaming a mile away.
  8. Feb 14, 2006 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Similar Discussions: Chocolate overdose?
  1. Not the chocolate too! (Replies: 30)

  2. The Chocolate Thread (Replies: 73)

  3. Chocolate Mousse (Replies: 8)

  4. Chocolates Temperature (Replies: 9)