1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choice of basis

1. Nov 21, 2005 #1
    for the problem:
    y``+y=secx

why can't 0 and e^(-1x) be choices for the basis?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Be precise! What you mean is "why can't 0 and e-x be a basis for the solution space of the corresponding homogeneous equation".

I am sorely tempted to ask why in the world you think it should be. For one thing, the "0" vector (here, the function that is identically 0) is never a member of a basis- any set of vectors including 0 cannot be independent. But then I also wonder where you got "e-x[/sup}"!
    What is the characteristic equation for y"= y= 0? What are its solutions?

4. Nov 22, 2005 #3
    i figured that if you wanted to solve the homogenous equation, then suppose that y=e^(namda)x
    and subsitute that into the equation to find namda which equals 0 and
    (-1)...
    so i thought that since those two are the solutions to the homogeneous question, then couldn't they be the basis?

5. Nov 22, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When did e^{namdax} (lambda?) become zero when namda is zero?

And the qustion still remains: a basis of what?

You haven't solved y''+y=0 correctly anyway. e^0 is constant, and y=const is not a solution of that equation, nor for that matter is e^{-x}

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  6. Nov 22, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, it's "lambda", not "nambda":smile:. Yes, you "suppose that [itex]y= e^{\lambda x}[/itex] and substitute that into the equation to find lamba which equals..." No, it does not equal 0 and -1! I asked before, what is the characteristic equation? What equation do you get when you substitute [itex]y= e^{\lambda x}[/itex]?

7. Nov 24, 2005 #6
    sorry about the spelling! thanks for correcting that!
    the characteristic equation is (lambda)^2+(lambda)=0
    => [(lamda)((lamda)+1)]=0
    =>lamda=0, -1 ?

8. Nov 24, 2005 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no it isn't, not unless you made a typo in the original post. you're characteristic equation is for y'' + y', when you wrote y'' + y

9. Nov 24, 2005 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The differential equation was y"+ y= 0. If [itex]y= e^{\lambda x}[/itex] then [itex]y'= \lambdae^{\lambda x}[/itex] and [itex]y"= \lambda^2e^{\lambda x}[/itex]. The characteristic equation is [/itex]\lambda^2+ 1= 0[/itex] which has roots i and -i. A basis for the solution space is {sin x, cos x}.
    If the original equation was y"+ y'= 0, then the characteristic equation is y"+ y= 0 which has roots 0 and -1. In that case a basis for the solution space would {e0x= 1, e-x}

10. Nov 25, 2005 #9
    opps... thank you for correcting me!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?