Managing Allergies and Choked Nose: A Solution with Flexinase Spray

• Medical
  • Thread starter Physicsissuef
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, I have tried Actifed and it works well for me. Thanks for the reminder.Thanks for the reminder. Actifed is a good over the counter option. I have not tried it, but it may work well.
Physicsissuef
Hello!

I have one question for you. Since I know about my self, I have allergies, and sort of bacteries in my nose and in my throat. I use Flexinase for my allergy (I spray in my nose), and I think my allergy is gone, but why my nose gets choked when my head is on lower altitude (When I sleep I must put something behind my head, to rise the altitude and everything is alright)?

Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
Physicsissuef said:
Hello!

I have one question for you. Since I know about my self, I have allergies, and sort of bacteries in my nose and in my throat. I use Flexinase for my allergy (I spray in my nose), and I think my allergy is gone, but why my nose gets choked when my head is on lower altitude (When I sleep I must put something behind my head, to rise the altitude and everything is alright)?

Thank you.
That means that you still have excess mucus in your sinuses and raising your head helps it to drain.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Should I go to the local doctor? How to solve this very irritating problem?

Physicsissuef said:
Thanks for the reply. Should I go to the local doctor? How to solve this very irritating problem?
A nasal decongestant might help, but I've just learned to sleep with an extra pillow.

Yes, I sleep with extra pillow, but when I go somewhere outside of my country, or in some hotel, I can't sleep minus one pillow. Can you please tell me, can this problem be solved permanently?

A firend of mine had a turbinectomy- removal of the turbines in the sinus cavity. When they get inflamed, mucus does not drain properly.

Yes, see a doctor if it is persistent and preventing you from sleeping.

The reason you need to elevate your head to prevent your sinuses from getting clogged up is the way the sinuses open into one another. The opening into the maxillary sinus, which is the biggest one behind your "cheek bone" is high and to the sides. This means when you're lying down, it's easier for fluids to get into there. It also makes it harder to clear after those fluids get in there. Lying on one side, then the other (to drain each side) can provide temporary relief.

If your allergies are tolerable to you except when you sleep, you might benefit from a stronger decongestant/antihistamine at night. The best ones have drowsiness as a side-effect (histamines are also involved in arousal/wakefulness, which is why anti-histamines make you drowsy), but if you really only need it when you're sleeping, the side effect won't be an issue.

If your allergies get much worse at night, you may be allergic to dust mites (well, actually, dust mite feces). They love to live in bedding.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dust-mites/DS00842

How long has it been since you've replaced you pillow? For someone who is allergic to dust mites, you should change it about once a year.

Thank you very much for the help. I will check at the doctor and answer here again.

I was on the doctor today. He send me to another doctor, where she sow my nose. He immediately told that it is allergy. I get flixonase nasal spray, and some medications for my allergy. She told me that I need to go to the capital city, to check what I am allergic on. I know that I am allergic on dust.

Physicsissuef said:
I was on the doctor today. He send me to another doctor, where she sow my nose. He immediately told that it is allergy. I get flixonase nasal spray, and some medications for my allergy. She told me that I need to go to the capital city, to check what I am allergic on. I know that I am allergic on dust.
The good news is that it's an allergy. The bad news is that it's an allergy. I have suffered all of my life from allergies to all of the things we can't avoid, dust, pollen, mold spores, cats, feathers, and on and on... For years it was like having a bad cold every day, 364 days a year (I could actually breath one day a year). My ex husband used to joke that my descendants would be born with tufts of kleenex tissues at the end of their arms instead of hands.

I have found the only allergy medication on the market that works for me and it is an over the counter medication called Actifed. Nothing else works as well for me. The new formula, since they can no longer sell pseudoephedrine over the counter, doesn't work as well, but close enough. I don't know if it is available where you live. If you aren't getting complete relief from the medication you are on, keep trying different brands until you find one that works.

Good luck!

Thanks Evo! You're so nice. I am suffering from allergy, since I remember for myself, and it makes me very frustrating. I am allergic on dust and pollen, maybe there are another things that I am allergic on. I asked the doctor, and she told me that I can't cure it, some of my parents gave it to me. :) The nasal spray Flixonase, helped me, but just for periods, and this doctor told me to use it non-stop starting from March. I didn't like what she said. I hope my immune system will get better, and maybe I will be successful in curing this allergies. Thanks again and good luck!

I would question using a nasal spray constantly, I would think that continued constant use would irritate and maybe even cause trouble with the lining of the sinuses. Perhaps someone with a medical background can comment on using a nasal spray that much.

Physicsissuef said:
I am allergic on dust and pollen, maybe there are another things that I am allergic on. I asked the doctor, and she told me that I can't cure it, some of my parents gave it to me. :)
You cannot cure the condition, but you might be able to alleviate the symptoms by adjusting your environment. There are special bedding sheets available that are dust mite-resistant, you should ask your doctor about them. It also better to have floors of wood and sofas made of leather, they are easy to clean and do not build up dust. Try to keep your house, your bedroom especially, as clean as possible.

Evo said:
I would question using a nasal spray constantly, I would think that continued constant use would irritate and maybe even cause trouble with the lining of the sinuses. Perhaps someone with a medical background can comment on using a nasal spray that much.

My general doctor told me that I should use it 15 days, but when I was in the other place, where there is special doctor for these things, told me to constantly use nasal spray (it is not nasal decongestant), because nasal decongestant could cause damage of the mucus or something.

Monique said:
You cannot cure the condition, but you might be able to alleviate the symptoms by adjusting your environment. There are special bedding sheets available that are dust mite-resistant, you should ask your doctor about them. It also better to have floors of wood and sofas made of leather, they are easy to clean and do not build up dust. Try to keep your house, your bedroom especially, as clean as possible.

Thanks for the tips. They are great. First, as I said I will go in the capital town to check what I am allergic on, and then I will adjust my environment.

What are allergies and how do they affect the nose?

Allergies are a hypersensitive reaction of the immune system to a foreign substance, known as an allergen. When allergens are inhaled, they can cause inflammation and swelling of the nasal passages, leading to a choked nose, sneezing, and other symptoms.

What is Flexinase Spray and how does it help manage allergies and a choked nose?

Flexinase Spray is a nasal spray that contains the active ingredient fluticasone propionate. This ingredient works by reducing inflammation and swelling in the nasal passages, which helps to alleviate symptoms of allergies such as a choked nose. It also helps to block the release of histamines, which are responsible for causing allergic reactions.

Is Flexinase Spray safe to use?

Flexinase Spray is safe for most people to use. However, it is important to read and follow the instructions on the label carefully. If you have any underlying medical conditions or are taking other medications, it is best to consult with your doctor before using Flexinase Spray.

How often should I use Flexinase Spray?

The recommended dosage for Flexinase Spray is once per day. It is important to use it consistently at the same time each day to get the best results. However, if your symptoms do not improve after a few days or become worse, you should consult with your doctor.

Are there any side effects of using Flexinase Spray?

Like any medication, Flexinase Spray may cause some side effects. These can include nasal irritation, nosebleeds, headaches, and sore throat. If you experience any of these side effects or any other unusual symptoms, stop using the spray and consult with your doctor.