Choose Low Speed Aerofoil

• Thread starter mleesk
  • Start date
i am doing a project on fly-by-wire and need a wing which creates great lift at low speed. i am got a couple choices on my hand but not sure which one to go for. can anyone suggest any others? eppler 61(?) and gottingen 639 are my choices. any offers? thanks.

Answers and Replies

Danger
Gold Member
Welcome to PF, Mleesk.
I'm afraid that I don't know what those terms mean.
From a pilot's perspective, I'd look into whatever the German 'Stork' aeroplane used. That's the slowest thing that I've ever seen in my life. I'm old and have emphysema and arthritis, but I can probably still run faster than its take-off speed. I once saw one flying backward over a runway because it had a 20mph headwind.

thanks for the reply. i think this could be something i am looking for. i will look into it. thanks again.

Welcome to PF, Mleesk.
I'm afraid that I don't know what those terms mean.
From a pilot's perspective, I'd look into whatever the German 'Stork' aeroplane used. That's the slowest thing that I've ever seen in my life. I'm old and have emphysema and arthritis, but I can probably still run faster than its take-off speed. I once saw one flying backward over a runway because it had a 20mph headwind.
Is that the one that supposedly could land crossways on a berlin boulevard?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Jeez that runway was short!

Yeah, but sure was wide...

Ba dum bum.

Zenith Zodiac CH701

This is a stol airplane that uses flaps and leading edge slats. The designer (Chris Heinz)might even help you out with a drawing.

Danger
Gold Member
I haven't heard that before, but I wouldn't doubt it. With any kind of decent headwind, it was capable of VTOL performance.

Good catch, Dave. :rofl:

not only type of airfoil, its geometrical structure also effect the lift generated

I haven't heard that before, but I wouldn't doubt it. With any kind of decent headwind, it was capable of VTOL performance.

Good catch, Dave. :rofl:
I may have that bollixed up. I was thinking of Hanna Reisch's flight out of Berlin; I don't know what plane she used. The Stork was the one Skorzeny used to get Mussolini off the mountaintop prison.

Try Lissaman airfoils. Micheal Selig's lab at IndianaU works with low speed aerodynamics, google it and you may find a nice airfoil there (there's a nice database).