• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Choosing a field of science

• Thread starter davidp92
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi all
So I'm having a really hard time choosing to pursue a specific field of science. How did you choose your specialty of science, why did you pursue it?

Answers and Replies

chiro
Science Advisor
Hi all
So I'm having a really hard time choosing to pursue a specific field of science. How did you choose your specialty of science, why did you pursue it?
Hey davidp92 and welcome to the forums.

For me it was getting exposed to something and then taking it from there.

As an example a friend introduced me to BASIC and I was so amazed I spent most of my free time in high school learning how to program.

I learnt about 3D games and that came with a lot of math.

One thing leads to something which leads to something which leads to what I'm doing right now.

I don't know if it was fate or not, but I'm glad that all of these accidents in life have led me to the path I am pursuing now (If all goes to plan I'll graduate with a double major in math next year).

Hi all
The ultimate strategy would be to go into that field which is going to be experiencing the most growth at the same time you are in your prime. You may need a crystal ball for that.

chiro
Science Advisor
In response to what zoobyshoe said, it's often extremely difficult for anyone to know what they will be doing five to ten years in advance.