1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing a field of science

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    Hi all
    So I'm having a really hard time choosing to pursue a specific field of science. How did you choose your specialty of science, why did you pursue it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey davidp92 and welcome to the forums.

For me it was getting exposed to something and then taking it from there.

As an example a friend introduced me to BASIC and I was so amazed I spent most of my free time in high school learning how to program.

I learnt about 3D games and that came with a lot of math.

One thing leads to something which leads to something which leads to what I'm doing right now.

I don't know if it was fate or not, but I'm glad that all of these accidents in life have led me to the path I am pursuing now (If all goes to plan I'll graduate with a double major in math next year).

4. Nov 28, 2011 #3
    The ultimate strategy would be to go into that field which is going to be experiencing the most growth at the same time you are in your prime. You may need a crystal ball for that.

5. Nov 28, 2011 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

In response to what zoobyshoe said, it's often extremely difficult for anyone to know what they will be doing five to ten years in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook