Choosing a field of study for Physics Graduate Degree

In summary, I think you should focus on a specific field in order to narrow down your options for graduate school.
Egdizzle
Hello,
I've found some similar posts, but as the answers heavily depend on the individual, I decided to present my own case. I want to apply for the physics graduate programs of the big universitie MIT, Harvard, Standord and UC Berkley. For this I need to decide on a specific field of study for my motivational letters, but I'm having trouble deciding.

I've just completed my physics bachelor degree as well as my mathematics bachelors degree. My physics thesis was about a simulation of a quantum many-particle system using statistical physics, and my maths thesis was about mathematical logic, or more precisely type theory. As you might already guess I'm more theoretically inclined. I can already rule out anything experimental since I was always swayed more to the theoretical side of things. That's also the reason why I studied Mathematics, in order to better understand theoretical physics.
My Bachelor's thesis would point in the direction of Condensed Matter, but I'm not quite sure if that direction is really what I want to pursue. My problem is that I really don't have a good overview of the different theoretical fields. I would like something that is as fundamental as possible while still being able to connect it somehow to my bachelor thesis in order to tell a good story in my motivational letters.

Maybe someone can give me some tipps overviews or personal experiences on the matter.
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't know what field you want to go into, how can you know which universities are good at it?

Judging from your physics thesis, either theoretical quantum mechanics or theoretical particle physics...

I think you have this backwards. It should be: "I have a deep interest in pursuing research in field X; therefore, I want to pursue a PhD program in physics". Not: "I want to pursue a PhD program in physics. Can someone please advise me on what field I should pursue research in?" A theoretical physics thesis will likely take less time than an experimental one; however, you're probably still facing at least a 4 or 5 yr program, so think hard whether you should even be applying for a PhD physics program at this stage.

Likes Vanadium 50

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a field of study for a physics graduate degree?

When choosing a field of study for a physics graduate degree, it is important to consider your personal interests, career goals, and the research opportunities available at different institutions. You should also consider the faculty and their areas of expertise, as well as the resources and facilities available for your chosen field of study.

2. How do I know which field of physics is right for me?

There is no one right answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on your individual interests and goals. However, you can start by exploring the different subfields of physics, such as astrophysics, condensed matter physics, and particle physics, and considering which topics and research areas align with your interests and strengths. It may also be helpful to talk to current graduate students and faculty members in your potential field to gain more insight.

3. Is it better to choose a specialized or broad field of study for a physics graduate degree?

This also depends on your personal interests and career goals. Specialized fields may offer more focused research opportunities and allow you to become an expert in a specific area, while broad fields may provide a more well-rounded education and open up a wider range of career opportunities. It may be helpful to talk to advisors and faculty members to discuss the pros and cons of each option.

4. What are some popular and in-demand fields of study for physics graduate degrees?

Some popular and in-demand fields of study for physics graduate degrees include astrophysics, quantum computing, and renewable energy. However, it is important to choose a field that aligns with your interests and strengths, rather than simply following popular trends.

5. Can I change my field of study during my physics graduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to change your field of study during your physics graduate degree. However, this may require additional coursework and research to catch up in the new field. It is important to consult with your advisor and faculty members before making any major changes to your course of study.