1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing a Major. SOS!

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1
    Hello,

It's almost the end of my first year of university... and it's time to choose a major. I'm doing a bachelor of science, and I can say that things haven't been to bad. Last semester I had a GPA of 3.8 and things are looking pretty good for this semester.

Anyway, I should declare a major soon, but I'm lost when it comes to doing so. I'm considering medicinal chemistry, chemistry and physics. However, all my thoughts go back to physics - one way or another.

The thing keeping me from picking physics is the fact that at my university, there are only 7 people now in 2nd year physics. SEVEN! In other majors, there are 15 times that many people. Does physics just become insanely hard to follow in upper years?

I would call myself a hard working student, but I'm just scared thinking about next year. What if I find myself one month into my second year of physics, completely lost in the material?

Any feedback would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2
    Welcome to the forum, mermer!

How large is your university? Seven seems about normal. I'm an undergraduate senior attending a medium sized university (~25,000 students) and I'm taking one physics class that only has two students (counting me!) and another that has four. This is just an anecdote, but the point is, don't let this scare you. Physics does get more difficult, but not that much more difficult. There are many other social factors that result in many prospective physics majors opting for related degrees like engineering or computer science. There are probably quite a few topics about this on these forums if you're interested.

But anyway, you've come to the right place! There are some great people around here that can help answer your questions.

4. Mar 25, 2012 #3
    If you're not sure what the physics major is like, it would probably be good to arrange a meeting with a physics professor and/or an upperclassman physics major. They will be able to answer a lot of your questions and give you a feel for the physics major at your school.

5. Mar 27, 2012 #4
    I think science majors tend to have fewer people than the humanities, but it depends on the size of your school and its specialties. My college only has about 1,400 undergrads, and there are four math majors in my year, for example. I think dedicateddan's advice is good--you should talk to students and/or professors in the department.

I would also encourage you not to get scared away by perceived difficulty. I was always really scared of continuing in math because everyone told me linear algebra was very hard, but I did make my way through it and I am so glad I didn't give up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook