Choosing a Major: Advice for College Students

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the conversation revolves around a student who is in their second year of college and is still undecided on a major. They have narrowed down their choices to software engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, or mathematics, all of which they have an interest in. They are seeking guidance and information on each major, including potential career options. They plan to visit their school's counseling office for assistance. The conversation also includes a discussion about the IT field and the current job market for it, with a word of caution about the decreasing demand and salaries in the field. The speaker, who works in IT, shares their experience and mentions the tedious and repetitive nature of the job. They also mention their plan to pursue a career in medicine.
Cod
I just started my second year of college and still have not decided on a major. I need to decide soon so I've narrowed my list of choices down: software engineering, mechanical engineering, chemicals engineering, or mathematics. I've met people in all of the fields I've named and they all spark a lot of interest to me. Also, the majors I've narrowed my list down to all contain stuff that I already enjoy. So maybe some of y'all could elaborate more on each major if you are in that major, have a degree from that major, or work in a field involving that major. I'd also like to know WHAT I can do with each major (career wise, etc.).

Basically, I'm just looking for some guidance in my choice that I cannot get from my parents since they think computers are the ONLY way to go now-a-days. Monday, at school, I'm going to stop by the counseling office to see if they can lend me some assistance as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a word to the wise on computer technology. There is still a demand for it, but due to the dot com bust, the economic downturn, and the trend towards exporting of IT jobs overseas, you won't find the huge salaries that the IT field was commanding 5 years ago. In the late 90's it was not uncommon out of college to land a job at 70K+ with stock options. At this point I know many It folks with 5+ years experience who have been out of work for almost a year, with no end in sight. And the positions that are being offered are more in line with other white collar jobs. Not to mention that it's a 50 to 1 applicant to job ratio due to the enconomy that being said...

The lifestyle is pretty decent as far as jobs go. Always in an office. Many times work an 8-5 schedule with little or no overtime. If there's a project deadline that must be met, they may ask you to put in some, but otherwise not that demanding. Of course you have to enjoy sitting at a desk 40 hours a week. Programming takes a certain mindset, because you're always sitting at a desk debugging code. It can get tedious at times, and has been likened to accounting. If you're not inclined to be attached to a desk, there's always the network engineering/systems integration route, which basically has you setting up networks. those of course typically demand more hours, but don't have you sitting at your desk. More likely you'll be troubleshooting server and router LAN/WAN topology issues. A bit more exciting than programming, but by no means heartstopping.

Speaking as someone who's been doing IT for a while now, it gets tedious and repetitive after a while, like everything else, but there's always that occasional challenge to shock the heart out of cardiac arrest and get the blood flowing- if only from the stress.

As for me, that's why I'm going to be a doctor:wink:

First of all, congratulations on starting your second year of college and taking the time to carefully consider your major options. It's completely normal to still be undecided at this point, and it's great that you are seeking advice and guidance.

As for the majors you have narrowed down to, they are all fantastic options with a lot of potential for future careers. Software engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, and mathematics are all very versatile majors that can lead to various job opportunities in different industries.

Software engineering is a rapidly growing field with a high demand for skilled professionals. With a degree in software engineering, you can work as a software developer, web developer, mobile app developer, or even a data scientist. You can also work in industries such as finance, healthcare, or entertainment.

Mechanical engineering is a broad field that involves designing, developing, and manufacturing mechanical systems. With this degree, you can work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, or energy. You can also specialize in areas like robotics, HVAC systems, or product design.

Chemical engineering is a combination of chemistry, math, and physics, and involves designing and optimizing chemical processes. With this degree, you can work in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, or oil and gas. You can also specialize in areas like environmental engineering or materials science.

Mathematics is a highly versatile major that can lead to careers in various industries, such as finance, data analysis, or teaching. With a degree in mathematics, you can work as an actuary, statistician, or operations researcher. You can also pursue further education in fields like economics, computer science, or engineering.

My advice would be to research each major in depth and consider your interests, skills, and future career goals. You can also talk to professors, alumni, or professionals in each field to gain more insight and perspective. Additionally, internships or job shadowing experiences can give you a hands-on understanding of what it's like to work in each field.

Lastly, don't feel pressured to choose a major based on what others think is the "best" or most lucrative option. It's important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths, as that will ultimately lead to a fulfilling and successful career. Best of luck in your decision-making process!

1) What should I consider when choosing a major?

When choosing a major, it is important to consider your interests, skills, and career goals. Think about what subjects you are passionate about and what you excel in. Also, research potential career paths and the job market for different majors to ensure that your chosen major aligns with your future goals.

2) How do I know if I have chosen the right major?

Choosing a major can feel overwhelming, but remember that it is not a permanent decision. It is common for students to change their major during their college career. If you are unsure about your major, try taking a variety of classes in different subjects to see what interests you the most. You can also talk to academic advisors and professionals in your field of interest for guidance.

3) Is it better to choose a major based on job prospects or personal interest?

This ultimately depends on your individual goals and priorities. Some students may prioritize job prospects and choose a major that leads to a specific career path. Others may prioritize personal interest and choose a major that aligns with their passions, even if it may not have as many job opportunities. It is important to find a balance between the two and choose a major that you are both interested in and has potential for your future career.

4) Can I double major or have a minor?

Some colleges and universities allow students to have a double major or minor, while others may not. It is important to check with your school's policies and requirements to see if this is an option for you. Keep in mind that having a double major or minor may require taking additional courses, so make sure to plan accordingly and consider your workload.

5) What if I change my mind about my major?

It is completely normal to change your mind about your major during college. If you find that your current major is not the right fit for you, make an appointment with your academic advisor to discuss your options. They can help you explore other majors and create a plan to switch majors if needed. Remember, it is important to choose a major that you are truly passionate about and will lead to a fulfilling career.