Choosing a Major

• Programs
  • Thread starter cpman
  • Start date
Hi everyone.
I'm going into junior year of high school this academic year, and I know college is far away, but I'm already wondering about choosing a major. I know I want to do something in the sciences, but I don't know what. I've taken biology, chemistry, and physics and done lots of reading for fun on entomology, astrophysics, quantum mechanics, inorganic chemistry, and botany. I find everything in the sciences very interesting, and am wondering how someone who enjoys every one of the sciences picks a major.

Next year I'm taking astrophysics and chemistry II because physics and chemistry are really interesting.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Answers and Replies

Hi everyone.
I'm going into junior year of high school this academic year, and I know college is far away, but I'm already wondering about choosing a major. I know I want to do something in the sciences, but I don't know what.

As a rising junior in high school, I think you're in a good shape in terms of determining your major. I think it's important to pick a "direction" before you enter college (e.g. not specific enough to claim a major, but something along the line of "science," "humanity," "social science," or "art"). I would keep taking more science and math courses in high school (if your high school offers AP, take them!), and keep working on finding your interest. I was in a same situation when I was in high school, and even during the first year of college---I tried various subjects (chemistry, physics, computer science), but I realized math was the subject that I really wanted to pursue, and I did fine in college.

I was in a similar boat in high school - interested in everything. I would suggest to keep doing what you're doing. Just explore and keep reading about things that interest you. Maybe subscribe to a good science magazine such as New Scientist.

I was very concerned with how to choose a major as well. It wasn't until taking several classes during my first year that I realized that physics was the field for me. You really cannot tell until you start digging into the coursework. Good luck!