1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Choosing a Physics course.

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    hey guys and ladies, i need help on choosing a course.

On the UCAS website, i chose the course 'Physics' and i got multiple choices pop up:

Applied Physics
    Atmosphere Physics
    Biomedical Physics
    Chemical Physics
    Computational Physics
    Electronic / Electrical
    Engineering Physics
    Environmental Physics
    Laser Physics
    Mathematical Physics
    Medical Physics
    Medical Physics Technology
    Molecular Physics
    Particle Physics
    Philosophy Of Physics
    Physics Studies
    Radiation Physics
    Space Physics
    Space Science
    Technological Physics
    Theoretical Physics

I really am not sure which course to choose. I would like to do Biomedical physics due to the fact it can lead to a career in medicine but i fear i do not have the grades and my course (Engineering HNC) won't be enough to qualify for it.

Some Uni's require A level Maths and Physics. I did a BTEC level Engineering and i heard that BTEC is A level's equivalent. I got a pass in mechanical principles, got a distinction in Pneumatic and Hydraulics (does that count as a Science course?) and a Merit in Maths.

I am now doing an HNC in mechanical Engineering, and the requirements for some Biomedical courses require Distinction, Distinction, Merit. with A level physics and Mathematics and in Biology and Chemistry.

I got told that if i do my two year HNC, i can top up to a degree even if i don't have the nessecary grades, is this true?

Also, Theoretical physics sound interesting.

I really don't know which course to choose but i would like to do Biomedical Physics and if not then Theoretical Physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2
    To succeed at a straight physics undergraduate degree in the UK it really, really, really helps to have A or A* grades in physics and mathematics at A-level; in my opinion a BTEC is in no way an acceptable alternative.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    Well speaking to my teachers and looking at UCAS website, A levels or any equivalents are fine?

I'm doing my HNC if that even counts and considering the HND.

There is a course just called "Physics" and another called " Theoretical Physics and mathematics".

What is the difference? One course just does physics and the other does theoretical physics and mathematics?

What is the difference between just physics and theoretical physics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook