Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing a relay

1. Mar 22, 2016 #1
    I have a 5v dc circuit and a 12v dc motor. If I had to use a relay, when looking at the specifications, what do I look for ?, will the coil voltage be 5v and the switching voltage be 12v ?

Will these relays work ?
    http://www2.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Relays/_/N-5g31?P=1z0x3tdZ1yyfbg3 [Broken]

Also, how do I know the minimum current required to activate the switch ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2016 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

Yes.
    By activation the current will be
    Icoil = Vcoil / Rcoil
    However you may insert a save resistance in the circuit, decreasing the coil current when the relay has been activated. Often this save resistance has already been included in a relay with a dc-coil.

Also you should protect the NO-switch ( the righthand in the attached ) by means of a RC series connection. Otherwise you may "burn" the switch, breaking the dc-motor current several times. The values for the RC depends on the motor current and how fast the NO-switch will open.

Attached Files:

4. Mar 22, 2016 #3
    Ok, I want to connect an LED to show when the relay is on, but because the LED drops 1.7V I would have to connect the relay in parallel so as to recieve the full 5V supply voltage

Here's a schematic
    IMG_20160322_153744.jpg

Would this connection be fine ?

5. Mar 22, 2016 #4

wirenut

Gold Member

Also, usually when you have a relay coil you insert a reversed diode across the coil to absorb the voltage spike when the coil shuts off.

6. Mar 22, 2016 #5

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not only could you damage the transistor when left out, in this case you could damage the LED also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted