Choosing Relay for 5V DC & 12V Motor

• Thread starter TheRedDevil18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relay
In summary: A voltage spike would be created when the relay coil shuts off, and this spike would likely be more than the 1.7 volts the LED can handle.
TheRedDevil18
I have a 5v dc circuit and a 12v dc motor. If I had to use a relay, when looking at the specifications, what do I look for ?, will the coil voltage be 5v and the switching voltage be 12v ?

Will these relays work ?
http://www2.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Relays/_/N-5g31?P=1z0x3tdZ1yyfbg3

Also, how do I know the minimum current required to activate the switch ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
TheRedDevil18 said:
will the coil voltage be 5v and the switching voltage be 12v ?
Yes.
TheRedDevil18 said:
how do I know the minimum current required to activate the switch ?
By activation the current will be
Icoil = Vcoil / Rcoil
However you may insert a save resistance in the circuit, decreasing the coil current when the relay has been activated. Often this save resistance has already been included in a relay with a dc-coil.

Also you should protect the NO-switch ( the righthand in the attached ) by means of a RC series connection. Otherwise you may "burn" the switch, breaking the dc-motor current several times. The values for the RC depends on the motor current and how fast the NO-switch will open.

Attachments

• scan0001.pdf
    46.5 KB · Views: 185
Ok, I want to connect an LED to show when the relay is on, but because the LED drops 1.7V I would have to connect the relay in parallel so as to receive the full 5V supply voltage

Here's a schematic
IMG_20160322_153744.jpg

Would this connection be fine ?

Also, usually when you have a relay coil you insert a reversed diode across the coil to absorb the voltage spike when the coil shuts off.

wirenut said:
Also, usually when you have a relay coil you insert a reversed diode across the coil to absorb the voltage spike when the coil shuts off.
Not only could you damage the transistor when left out, in this case you could damage the LED also.

1. What is the difference between a 5V DC relay and a 12V motor relay?

A 5V DC relay is designed to work with a power supply of 5 volts, while a 12V motor relay requires a power supply of 12 volts. This means that the 5V relay will not be able to handle the higher voltage needed for the motor to function properly.

2. Can I use a 5V relay to control a 12V motor?

No, you cannot use a 5V relay to control a 12V motor. The voltage difference between the two components will cause the relay to either not work at all or to malfunction, potentially damaging both the relay and the motor.

3. What type of relay is best for controlling a 5V DC circuit and a 12V motor?

A dual voltage relay is the best option for controlling both a 5V DC circuit and a 12V motor. This type of relay can handle both voltages and will ensure proper functioning of both components.

4. How do I choose the right relay for my 5V DC circuit and 12V motor?

When choosing a relay, make sure to select one that is rated for both the voltage and current requirements of your 5V DC circuit and 12V motor. You should also consider the switch type (such as SPST or DPDT) and the coil voltage to ensure compatibility with your specific setup.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when choosing a relay for 5V DC and 12V motor?

Yes, it is important to choose a relay that is rated for the correct voltage and current to avoid any potential safety hazards. It is also recommended to use a fuse or circuit breaker in your setup to protect against overloading the relay or motor. Additionally, make sure to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions and consult a professional if needed.