Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Choosing a telescope

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    Today I was bored, so I went into my closet and found an old telescope of mine. I spent like a half hour star-gazing, but quickly became bored. I couldn't see very far with this telescope, since it was a cheap one I got for Christmas a few years ago (and funny thing is, around the time I got it, I saw it in a CVS Pharmacy.) It was about $50. I decided to buy myself a nicer one, and after researching for about an hour (yes, I read the sticky.) I settled on two.

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-SpaceP...lescope/dp/B0000XMT42/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp"

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-21...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319932087&sr=1-1"

The Orion one has better reviews. So far i'm leaning towards that one, but the Celestron looks like it could be good. Just wanted to check in here before I made a final decision.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2
    the celestron will be far better. the main thing you want in a telescope is a large objective (size of the primary mirror in a reflector, or lens in a refractor).

also dependent upon what kinds of things you like to observe - if wide star fields, a short focal length scope is good - if planets, moon, messier objects, then you want a longer focal length for higher magnification.

4. Oct 31, 2011 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You might want to discuss this in the "Planning to buy a first telescope?" thread; stickied at the very top of the page.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook