Choosing Between Queen Mary London, Sussex & Leicester: A Student's Perspective

• Thread starter The PAQI Monsta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Perspective
In summary: I already have my grades. I'm actually changing uni and course, and I had to apply late because of this, so my options were limited. Only about half of UK unis offer physics, and I could really only consider 3/4 of those unis(because of my grades) some of which weren't accepting anymore, so I knew pretty soon where I'd be applying.
The PAQI Monsta
I have offers from Queen Mary London, Sussex and Leicester, but I think I'm leaning slightly towards Queen Mary.

In terms of intensity, it seems Leicester is the most intense then QM then Sussex, based on the number of modules in each year. Is this something worth taking into account and how much did course content influence your decision when choosing an institute?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you tell us more about what you plan to major in? and how far you plan to go like MS or PhD...

The PAQI Monsta said:
I have offers from Queen Mary London, Sussex and Leicester, but I think I'm leaning slightly towards Queen Mary.

In terms of intensity, it seems Leicester is the most intense then QM then Sussex, based on the number of modules in each year. Is this something worth taking into account and how much did course content influence your decision when choosing an institute?

Did you not consider this when you first decided what universities you would apply to, and rank them in order of preference at that stage?

jedishrfu said:
Can you tell us more about what you plan to major in? and how far you plan to go like MS or PhD...

This is the UK. If they applied to study physics then they will study physics and nothing else.

Thanks for the UK differences. I just didn't see where the OP said he was majoring in Physics.

jedishrfu said:
Thanks for the UK differences. I just didn't see where the OP said he was majoring in Physics.
Yes I'm majoring in physics, I intend to go up to MS.
pasmith said:
Did you not consider this when you first decided what universities you would apply to, and rank them in order of preference at that stage?
I already have my grades. I'm actually changing uni and course, and I had to apply late because of this, so my options were limited. Only about half of UK unis offer physics, and I could really only consider 3/4 of those unis(because of my grades) some of which weren't accepting anymore, so I knew pretty soon where I'd be applying.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing between Queen Mary London, Sussex, and Leicester?

When choosing between these universities, it is important to consider factors such as location, program offerings, student life, and reputation. Queen Mary London is located in the heart of London, offering access to numerous cultural and professional opportunities. Sussex is located in a more rural setting, but has a strong focus on research and a diverse student population. Leicester is also located in a smaller city, but has a strong reputation for its business and management programs.

2. How do I determine which university will provide the best academic fit for me?

To determine which university will provide the best academic fit, it is important to research the specific programs and courses offered at each university. Look into the faculty and their areas of expertise, as well as the resources and support available for students in your desired field of study. You may also want to consider reaching out to current students or alumni for their insights.

3. What is the cost difference between these universities?

The cost difference between these universities will vary depending on factors such as your program of study, living expenses, and any scholarships or financial aid you may receive. It is important to research and compare the cost of tuition, accommodation, and other expenses for each university to determine the most affordable option for you.

4. How does the student experience differ between these universities?

The student experience at each university will vary based on location, campus culture, and extracurricular opportunities. Queen Mary London, being in a bustling city, may offer a more fast-paced and diverse experience. Sussex, with its focus on research, may offer a more academically rigorous experience. Leicester may have a more community-oriented and business-focused experience. It is important to consider your personal preferences and goals when choosing a university.

5. What are the job prospects like for graduates of these universities?

The job prospects for graduates of these universities will vary based on your field of study and individual qualifications. However, all three universities have strong reputations and connections with industry partners, which can provide valuable networking and job opportunities. It is important to research the job placement rates and alumni success stories from each university to get a better understanding of the potential career prospects.