Choosing a University: Tips & Advice for Matthew

In summary: Summary:In summary, Matthew is considering going to three different universities: Caltech, Princeton, and University of Chicago. He likes Princeton the best, but is open to other options. He is also considering doing his undergraduate and graduate work at different universities.
blokpoi
Hi all,

I have been looking at different universities for me to go to for a while now, and I have found 3 good ones so far, in order of the one I want to go to most, to least.

1. Caltech
2. Princeton
3. University of Chicago

Can anybody give me any good/bad things about this school, and perhaps person experience if you have any?

Secondly, should I go to the same school for both undergrad and grad? Or should I go to a low cost school with an adequate physics program for undergrad and a better school for grad?

Thanks,
Matthew

Physics news on Phys.org
I went to Princeton for grad school. Liked it a lot. Didn't have much interaction with the undergrads though. They mostly seemed like undergrads at other schools. However, it did seem to me that some of the undergrad activities had an air of snooty superiority that rubbed me the wrong way. However, I'm sure you could avoid that stuff if it was actually there and it bothers you. Note, I went to a dirty hippy undergrad school, so the old money/legacy thing gets to me a bit. I'm sure there are a ton of undergrads at Princeton who are not like that. Just not at the eating clubs :)

I had a some good friends who went to Caltech. Some did both undergrad and grad there and are doing just fine as post grads. Looks like an excellent place. Also looks like a special place. It's small and very focused. I could see where it might not be a good fit for some people who want a bit more variety.

As far as money goes, I can't answer you. Debt sucks and I was lucky to go to undergrad for free. I personally would not have gone there had they not offered me a good deal; I was prepared to go to the cheapest of my undergrad options.

I hope those aren't the only three schools you're considering applying to. :smile:

kinkmode said:
-snip-
Thank you! This helped a lot.

jtbell said:
I hope those aren't the only three schools you're considering applying to. :smile:
So far, they are. I'm still looking though, if you have any suggestions please tell me!

Don't you have a few years before you need to be making this decision?

Vanadium 50 said:
Don't you have a few years before you need to be making this decision?

I do! I am just starting high-school on September 3rd. However, I do plan on graduating early. But even so, I like to plan ahead.

Hi, Matthew.

Do you have a well-regarded state university that has superior programs in your areas of interest? That could save you a lot of money. I was pre-admitted to several excellent universities, but couldn't get enough financial aid to attend any of them, so I settled on the University of Maine (my default) and found out that their chemical engineering program was top-notch. The department even had pilot pulp and paper equipment on site.

You have time, so don't get too fixated on a particular college until your interests have gelled a bit. Good luck whatever you decide.

I think most of the "Big Ten" schools (Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc.) provide a good-to-very-good physics program and would do well as second-tier choices even if you're shooting for the "elite" schools first. If you live in one of those states, of course you get the benefit of in-state tuition which your parents have already paid for partially by way of their tax dollars.

should I go to the same school for both undergrad and grad?

Most people go to different schools for undergrad and grad. When I was in grad school at Michigan, I didn't know anybody who had done his/her undergrad there. I remember some of my classmates coming from Illinois, Minnesota, MIT, UNC,...

Last edited:
I live in Minnesota, so the U of M is definitely available to me. I hadn't really looked into them before, but I will check them out. Perhaps I will do my undergrad work at the U of M and go to like caltech or Princeton for my grad work, I will look into more options though. Thank you guys!

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a university?

When choosing a university, it is important to consider factors such as the academic programs offered, location, campus culture, cost, and opportunities for internships or research. It is also important to think about your personal preferences and goals for your education.

2. How can I research different universities?

You can research universities by visiting their websites, attending college fairs, talking to current students and alumni, and reading reviews and rankings from reputable sources. It is also helpful to visit the campus in person to get a feel for the atmosphere and talk to admissions counselors.

3. Should I prioritize a university's reputation or the program I want to study?

This ultimately depends on your goals and priorities. If you are looking for a specific program, it may be more important to choose a university with a strong reputation in that field. However, a university's overall reputation can also be an important factor to consider, as it can impact your job prospects and future opportunities.

4. Is it better to attend a large or small university?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Large universities often have more resources and a wider range of programs and activities, while small universities may offer more personalized attention and a tight-knit community. Consider your learning style and preferences when making this decision.

5. What should I look for in a university's financial aid options?

When considering a university's financial aid options, it is important to look for a combination of scholarships, grants, and loans that can help cover the cost of tuition. You should also research the university's average financial aid package and their policies for need-based and merit-based aid. It is also important to consider the overall cost of attendance and any potential for tuition increases in the future.