Choosing an Email Program

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hey all. I've recently accumulated upwards of 5 or 6 different email accounts that I need to check and I'm having a hard time keeping track of it all. I'm looking for a good program for windows that I can use to keep track of all my accounts instead of having to open and log in to each one separately. Any suggestions?

Answers and Replies

Nidum
Science Advisor
Gold Member
https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/features/

Thunderbird allows you to configure your inbox(s) to suit your needs . All accounts into one inbox or you can have several inboxes each with particular sub sets of your accounts .

Lots of other good features as well .

Likes Drakkith
You could also just use Gmail and then auto label them depending on where they are being forwarded from.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Thanks guys. I'll look into Thunderbird and see how I like it.

You could also just use Gmail and then auto label them depending on where they are being forwarded from.
If I don't like thunderbird I'll try to look into how to do this. If you have your emails forwarded from an account, do you "control" that account? In other words, if I receive a forwarded e-mail and delete it, is that email deleted from the original account as well?

I receive a forwarded e-mail and delete it, is that email deleted from the original account as well?
I don't think by default, but I bet it is an option. Pretty common situation.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Thanks Greg!

Thunderbird is best. You can configure multi email with the same program.

fluidistic
Gold Member
I used Thunderbird for over a year, it has a nice addon called Enigmail to encrypt emails in case you care.
However I removed it because it wouldn't check for emails every 10 minutes as I had set. Instead, I lost over 8 hours waiting for an email to appear in my inbox. Turns out it was sent 8 hours ago and was urgent (my advisor wanting me to do some stuff). Happened twice, so it was a deal breaker for me.
Do other people report a similar problem?

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I'll keep an eye out and see if I have a problem, fluidistic.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
I use Thunderbird. I have never had it fail to retrieve on schedule. Furthermore, you can always use the "Get Messages" button.

Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
The Window's 10 Mail app syncs numerous email accounts to multiple devices pretty quickly.