Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing an Email Program

1. Sep 3, 2016 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Hey all. I've recently accumulated upwards of 5 or 6 different email accounts that I need to check and I'm having a hard time keeping track of it all. I'm looking for a good program for windows that I can use to keep track of all my accounts instead of having to open and log in to each one separately. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/features/

Thunderbird allows you to configure your inbox(s) to suit your needs . All accounts into one inbox or you can have several inboxes each with particular sub sets of your accounts .

Lots of other good features as well .

4. Sep 3, 2016 #3
    Thunderbird is the best

5. Sep 3, 2016 #4
    You could also just use Gmail and then auto label them depending on where they are being forwarded from.

6. Sep 3, 2016 #5

Drakkith

Thanks guys. I'll look into Thunderbird and see how I like it.

If I don't like thunderbird I'll try to look into how to do this. If you have your emails forwarded from an account, do you "control" that account? In other words, if I receive a forwarded e-mail and delete it, is that email deleted from the original account as well?

7. Sep 3, 2016 #6
    I don't think by default, but I bet it is an option. Pretty common situation.

8. Sep 3, 2016 #7

Drakkith

Thanks Greg!

9. Sep 4, 2016 #8
    Thunderbird is best. You can configure multi email with the same program.

10. Sep 5, 2016 #9

fluidistic

Gold Member

I used Thunderbird for over a year, it has a nice addon called Enigmail to encrypt emails in case you care.
    However I removed it because it wouldn't check for emails every 10 minutes as I had set. Instead, I lost over 8 hours waiting for an email to appear in my inbox. Turns out it was sent 8 hours ago and was urgent (my advisor wanting me to do some stuff). Happened twice, so it was a deal breaker for me.
    Do other people report a similar problem?

11. Sep 5, 2016 #10

Drakkith

I'll keep an eye out and see if I have a problem, fluidistic.

12. Sep 5, 2016 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I use Thunderbird. I have never had it fail to retrieve on schedule. Furthermore, you can always use the "Get Messages" button.

13. Sep 5, 2016 #12

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

The Window's 10 Mail app syncs numerous email accounts to multiple devices pretty quickly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted