Should I Pursue a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering?

In summary, the individual is currently pursuing an A.S. in Mechanical Engineering and is considering whether to pursue a B.S. in ME or EE. Both degrees would take three years to complete, but the ME degree would require taking 20 credits per semester or summer courses to finish sooner. The individual enjoys math courses and believes that EE's use more math, but also enjoyed learning about electromagnetism and circuits in physics. The individual is unsure if they would enjoy the work of an EE more than an ME, but is interested in programming which is more commonly used in EE. They also want to be able to travel after graduation and believe both degrees would allow for that. However, they are leaning towards EE because of their interests in math and
zachdr1
I am going to be getting my A.S. in Mechanical Engineering by the end of next semester; however, I am not sure if I should pursue a B.S. in ME or EE.

Both degrees would take me 3 years to finish (ME will be 12 credits a semester and one part time semester, EE will be 13-15 a semester. I can't finish ME sooner unless I take 20 credits a semester and 3 classes this summer). While I have enjoyed the ME classes I have taken (Statics and Thermo), I have much more enjoyed my math classes such as Differential Equations and calculus. I understand that both degrees use a lot of math, but from what I hear, EE's use more.

I also enjoyed learning about electromagnetism, gaussian surfaces, and circuits in physics way more than I enjoyed learning about centripetal acceleration, circular motion, etc..

It sounds like I should probably do EE right? The only thing is that I am worried that I like stuff like FEA and CAD more than I like whatever you do as an EE. I guess I only really know about what EE's learn in school and not anything about what they do on the job. I have always loved programming though and that seems to be something that EE's do more than ME's. I probably like programming more than I like FEA and CAD. I think I would enjoy a job as a ME because I know I enjoy designing mechanical parts ( I am currently designing some parts for this years ASME project), but I also know I like the stuff you learn in EE more.

One huge thing with me is that I want to be able to travel a lot right when I get out of school. I am hoping to live overseas somewhere like Germany, Korea or Italy. I'm pretty sure both degrees will allow me to do this but I guess I've been wrong a lot of times lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
zachdr1 said:
I also enjoyed learning about electromagnetism, gaussian surfaces, and circuits in physics way more than I enjoyed learning about centripetal acceleration, circular motion, etc..

It sounds like I should probably do EE right? The only thing is that I am worried that I like stuff like FEA and CAD more than I like whatever you do as an EE
Have you done any circuit simulations with SPICE packages? Especially where you optimize the circuit using Monte Carlo simulations? :smile:

It is good that you enjoyed calculus and differential equations, because they are the learning tools for the engineer , and knowledge of the math behind the equations is essential in any type of engineering. But with some exceptions, generally engineers do not use calculus and higher level math in their day to day work. I haven't met one in my illustrious career who has. So I would not change majors solely based on choosing the discipline that would use a lot of calc etc, because that may not be the case. I'd continue taking advanced level math courses, but in my opinion, I would stick with ME, based on what you have stated.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the main difference between Electrical Engineering (EE) and Mechanical Engineering (ME)?

EE is focused on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while ME is focused on the design and mechanics of physical systems, such as machines and structures.

2. Which field has better job prospects and salary potential?

Both EE and ME have strong job prospects and potential for high salaries. It ultimately depends on the specific industry and job market at the time. However, in general, EE tends to have a higher demand and higher salaries due to the growing importance of technology in our society.

3. Can I switch between EE and ME if I change my mind later on?

Yes, it is possible to switch between EE and ME, as there is some overlap in coursework and skills. However, it may require additional time and coursework to catch up in the new field, so it is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a decision.

4. Which field requires more math and physics courses?

Both EE and ME require a strong foundation in math and physics. However, EE tends to focus more on advanced math and physics concepts, such as calculus and electromagnetism, while ME may focus more on mechanics and materials science.

5. What are some potential career paths for EE and ME graduates?

EE graduates can pursue careers in industries such as telecommunications, power and energy, and computer hardware and software. ME graduates can pursue careers in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. Both fields also offer opportunities in research and development, consulting, and academia.