Choosing between GW and CM modelling

• Thread starter gash789
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modelling
In summary, the conversation is about a person named Greg who has received offers for two PhD positions - one in modelling of complex systems and the other in modelling of gravitational wave sources. Greg is conflicted between which offer to accept and is seeking advice on which path would be more beneficial in terms of opportunities and pay. The summary suggests considering personal goals, research interests, job opportunities, and environment when making a decision.
gash789
Hello PF,
I am in a bind and wonder if anyone has any advise. Finishing my undergraduate learning I applied for numerous PhD positions, and was incredibly lucky to receive the following offers

1) Modelling of complex systems specializing in magnetic materials (condensed matter physics-CMP) - I have already done some work in the field due to a summer project and it is likely this work will be included on a paper if I am lucky.

2) Modelling of gravitational wave (GW) sources - I have no knowledge in this field outside of undergraduate level teaching. This particularly appeals as I will get to spend 20% of my time in the Albert Einstein institute.

While the physics of both are exciting I was initially drawn more to the GW PhD due to its sci-fi nature. However I realize that CMP will always be more profitable, and I would have more opportunities to change fields.

Should I be concerned about being "trapped" in GW where there may be less opportunity, and less pay?

Your opinion will be highly valued.

All the best

Greg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Greg, It sounds like you have a difficult decision to make. It can be challenging to decide between two paths, especially when they are both in exciting fields. The best advice I can give is to think carefully about what your goals are and what outcome you would be most satisfied with. Consider what type of research you are most passionate about, what kind of job you would like to get after completing your PhD, which environment is the best fit for your personality and interests, and which field has the most opportunities for advancement. Taking into account all of these factors, you should be able to make an informed decision about which PhD to accept. Good luck!

1. What is the difference between GW and CM modelling?

GW modelling refers to the use of numerical simulations and theoretical models to study the behavior of gravitational waves, while CM modelling involves using computational methods to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems.

2. Which type of modelling is more commonly used in scientific research?

Both GW and CM modelling are widely used in scientific research, depending on the specific research question and the type of data being analyzed. For example, GW modelling is commonly used in astrophysics to study the properties of black holes and other cosmic objects, while CM modelling is often used in fields such as biology and economics to understand complex systems.

3. What are the advantages of using GW modelling?

GW modelling allows for detailed and accurate predictions of gravitational wave signals, which can help scientists better understand the behavior of cosmic objects and test theories of gravity. It also allows for the detection of previously unknown gravitational wave sources, providing new insights into the universe.

4. What are the advantages of using CM modelling?

CM modelling allows for the simulation and analysis of complex systems that would be difficult or impossible to study through traditional experimental methods. It also allows for the testing of different scenarios and parameters, helping researchers gain a deeper understanding of how these systems behave.

5. Can GW and CM modelling be used together?

Yes, GW and CM modelling can be used together to provide a more comprehensive understanding of a system or phenomenon. For example, GW modelling can be used to predict the behavior of gravitational waves from a particular event, while CM modelling can be used to analyze the effects of these waves on a complex system such as a galaxy or a planet.