1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing between GW and CM modelling

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    Hello PF,
    I am in a bind and wonder if anyone has any advise. Finishing my undergraduate learning I applied for numerous PhD positions, and was incredibly lucky to receive the following offers

1) Modelling of complex systems specializing in magnetic materials (condensed matter physics-CMP) - I have already done some work in the field due to a summer project and it is likely this work will be included on a paper if I am lucky.

2) Modelling of gravitational wave (GW) sources - I have no knowledge in this field outside of undergraduate level teaching. This particularly appeals as I will get to spend 20% of my time in the Albert Einstein institute.

While the physics of both are exciting I was initially drawn more to the GW PhD due to its sci-fi nature. However I realize that CMP will always be more profitable, and I would have more opportunities to change fields.

Should I be concerned about being "trapped" in GW where there may be less opportunity, and less pay?

Your opinion will be highly valued.

All the best

Greg

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted