Choosing between Rollins College and UCF for Math Undergrad

In summary: Limited selection of programs compared to public universities. In summary, the conversation is about deciding between attending Rollins College, a private university in Orlando with a highly ranked regional program in the South, or the University of Central Florida, a public university with a larger student population and a strong computer science program. The speaker is seeking advice on which university would be a better fit for their academic goals and concerns about class sizes and grade curving at UCF. They also request information on the pros and cons of attending a public university versus a private university.
logically
Physics Forum;

I am getting ready to graduate with my AA in Mathematics from a CC in Orlando. The CC feeds directly into the University of Central Florida (UCF) but I also have a choice of attending Rollins College. The available information on the two programs isn't vast, so any input you provide would be appreciated.

Rollins College - A Private University in Orlando ranked as the #1 Regional University in the South by US News and World Report. I can't do a double major in CS here (same dept), but I can double major in Physics and minor in CS (equally okay).
http://www.rollins.edu
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/regional-universities-south
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rollins-college-1515

UCF - is a public university in Orlando, and one of the largest universities in the USA (population). I would do a double major in CS, which UCF has a very good program for.
http://www.ucf.edu
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-central-florida-3954

1. I am aware of the significant difference in tuition, but I will find a way to make rollins work (combination of my Veteran Benefits, scholarships, and loans).
2. I'm plan on attending Grad School; will it make a difference in getting into top tier programs if I attend Rollins instead of UCF?
3. I'm concerned about the class sizes at UCF; I've heard of some senior level engineering courses having 40-400 students. I'm concerned that the math program might have some fairly large classes too.
4. Grade Curving; I know that UCF does a LOT of HEAVY (30% F to over 90% A) grade curving, I fear that the curriculum and instruction might be poor. I have not heard of grade curving that bad at Rollins, but the key word is 'heard'. I want to make sure that I have quality instruction.

If you can provide pros and cons as to public university and private university I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you for any advice.
Onward,
Jon.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pros of Public Universities:1. Lower tuition costs than private universities, making them more affordable.2. Large selection of programs and courses available.3. Generally easier to get accepted into a public university due to the higher number of students.4. Possible access to research opportunities. Cons of Public Universities:1. Larger class sizes which can make it difficult for professors to give individual attention to students. 2. More competitive admissions process if you are applying to a highly sought-after program. 3. Lack of personalized attention due to the larger student population. Pros of Private Universities:1. Smaller class sizes and more personalized attention from professors. 2. Access to scholarship and grant opportunities. 3. Potentially higher quality of education due to smaller student/faculty ratio. 4. Generally better access to resources and research opportunities. Cons of Private Universities:1. Higher tuition costs. 2. More competitive admissions process. 3. Lack of diversity in some programs due to a smaller student population.

Related to Choosing between Rollins College and UCF for Math Undergrad

1. What are the differences in curriculum between Rollins College and UCF for Math Undergrad?

Rollins College offers a smaller and more personalized curriculum with a focus on liberal arts education. UCF offers a larger and more diverse curriculum with a focus on research and technology. Both schools have similar core math courses, but Rollins may offer more specialized courses in areas like statistics or applied mathematics.

2. How do the faculty and class sizes compare between Rollins College and UCF for Math Undergrad?

Rollins College has a lower student-to-faculty ratio, meaning smaller class sizes and more personalized attention from professors. UCF has a larger faculty and student body, leading to larger class sizes. However, both schools have highly qualified and dedicated faculty who are committed to helping students succeed.

3. What opportunities are available for undergraduate research in math at Rollins College and UCF?

Rollins College and UCF both offer opportunities for undergraduate research in mathematics. Rollins has a strong emphasis on undergraduate research and offers funding and support for students pursuing research projects. UCF has a variety of research centers and institutes that students can get involved in, as well as opportunities for research with faculty members.

4. How do the costs and financial aid options compare between Rollins College and UCF for Math Undergrad?

Rollins College is a private school and therefore has a higher tuition cost than UCF, which is a public university. However, Rollins offers generous financial aid packages and scholarships to help offset the cost. UCF also has financial aid options available to help make college more affordable for students.

5. What are the career prospects for math majors from Rollins College and UCF?

Both Rollins College and UCF have strong reputations in the field of mathematics and provide students with a well-rounded education that prepares them for a variety of careers in math. Graduates from both schools have gone on to successful careers in areas such as data analysis, actuarial science, finance, and teaching. Ultimately, the career prospects for math majors depend on the individual student's interests, skills, and experiences.