1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing directions, vectors

1. Dec 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I have to describe a motion i'm supposed to decompose a vector in two directions, for example in an inclined plane is decompose the weight in these directions: the normal to the plane and the parallel to the plane, and that seems logic, but could I decompose the weight in other directions? The same thing for the velocity in a parabolic motion, I decompose the velocity in the vertical and the horizontal directions because it is easier but could I describe the motion using other directions?for example the horizontal and another one inclined with the horizontal by an angle different of 90 ?

I think I could because it's a matter of choice, the motions doesn't change, changes just the way you look at it

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2015 #2

Mister T

Science Advisor

You are free to make these choices. Often you can turn a difficult problem into an easy one by a clever choice of coordinate directions.

4. Dec 28, 2015 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In regard to your last question:
    "... for example the horizontal and another one inclined with the horizontal by an angle different of 90° ?"​

You can decompose a vector into two components which are not mutually perpendicular. However, that tends to cause more problems than it solves..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted