1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing friction factor

1. Mar 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    is there any criteria when it comes to choosing the first f_try ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    in my opinion , there must be at least either relative roughness(ε) given or Reynold number given , so that we can find the first f_try ....But , it is not given in this question , is the question wrong ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think they worry about roughness - it's considered to come as a given with the choice of pipe . I suppose it can be ignored to pick the first f. The point is that the friction factor depends on Re and Re depends on the friction factor. So the solution has to be iterative.

By the way, which of the wavy vague pictures are you referring to ? I could only find something in 4.9 but I hate reading these jpgs.

4. Mar 8, 2016 #3
    y , i uploaded the wrong pictures, here's the second picture which is continuous from the first one.
    pls ignore the dsc0501

Attached Files:

5. Mar 8, 2016 #4
    when it comes to choosing friction factor , it depends on the Reynold number and the relative roughness, am i right ?

6. Mar 10, 2016 #5
    but the Reynold number is also UNKNOWN from the start ? the D is unknown , so how to choose friction factor in this case?

7. Mar 11, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a starting value: a guestimate. The idea is that another initial value should lead to the same final result after a (possibly different) number of iterations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted