Choosing a Double Major in Math B.S. and Finance: Understanding the Differences

• Programs
  • Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, a Math B.S. is a more thorough degree often pursued by those who plan to do graduate work in the field, while a Math B.A. may be more theory-oriented. Similarly, economics may focus more on theory while finance is more practical. It is advised to check the course catalog for more specific information.
courtrigrad
What is the difference between a Math B.S. and a Math B.A.? How about the difference between a major in finance and a major in economics? I am thinking about double majoring in math B.S. and finance.

Any advice/feedback is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
courtrigrad said:
What is the difference between a Math B.S. and a Math B.A.? How about the difference between a major in finance and a major in economics? I am thinking about double majoring in math B.S. and finance.

Any advice/feedback is appreciated.

typically, a BS is more thorough. people who intend to do graduate work in the field get the BS degree.

although someone else will probably have a better explanation, economics can be more theory oriented, while finance is more of a "nuts and bolts" regime.

...does your school (or school you are intending to go to) have a course catalog, either online or in book form?

all the answers would be in there. :cool:

I'd guess and say economics is to finance as engineering is to engineering technology.

1. What is the difference between a Math B.S. and a Finance major?

A Math B.S. degree focuses on the study of mathematics and its applications, while a Finance major focuses on the study of financial systems and management. Both majors involve the use of quantitative and analytical skills, but Math B.S. tends to have a stronger emphasis on theoretical concepts while Finance is more applied in nature.

2. Can I pursue a double major in Math B.S. and Finance?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a double major in Math B.S. and Finance. However, it will require careful planning and time management as both majors have a rigorous course load. It is important to consult with academic advisors to ensure that you can fulfill the requirements for both majors within the expected time frame.

3. What career options are available with a double major in Math B.S. and Finance?

A double major in Math B.S. and Finance can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Some common career paths include financial analyst, data analyst, risk manager, actuary, and investment banker. The combination of strong analytical and quantitative skills from both majors is highly valued in industries such as finance, banking, insurance, and consulting.

4. Which major should I choose if I am interested in pursuing a career in finance?

Both Math B.S. and Finance majors can provide a strong foundation for a career in finance. However, if you are more interested in the theoretical aspects of finance, a Math B.S. major may be a better fit for you. On the other hand, if you prefer a more practical and applied approach to finance, a Finance major may be the better option.

5. Is a double major in Math B.S. and Finance worth the extra time and effort?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and personal interests. A double major can provide a well-rounded education and make you more competitive in the job market. It can also open up more career opportunities and potentially lead to higher salaries. However, it is important to carefully consider the workload and make sure you are passionate about both subjects before committing to a double major.